Roundabouts !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wafflycat

BentMikey said:
pbar, I would strongly suggest you buy Cyclecraft by John Franklin and read through it. You might also want to get some cycling lessons from your local council, these are often cheap or free.

Aye, Cyclecraft is good. You may well be able to get it at your local library, pbar, or you can buy it online HERE You'll see that is recommended reading for the new national cycle training standards. Also, if you don't have cycle training available local to you, you may find of somewhere you can get training from HERE

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
What everyone else said, with extra points for the 'soft-skill' of making eye contact. I believe the way you describe is in the highway code...

You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane you should
  • be aware that drivers may not easily see you:ohmy:
  • take extra care when cycling across exits. You may need to signal right to show you are not leaving the roundabout:ohmy:
  • watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundaboutxx(

Unless someone can come up with a better one, this is probably the worst piece of advice in the highway code. Cyclecraft explains why.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Be confident but above all be pragmatic. It's always better to be safe than dead and in a straight fight between a bike and a car there is only one winner, whoever has the moral high ground.

byegad

Legendary Member
Cyclecraft is essential reading for any cyclist using a road. I'd make it a compulsory read for everyone who intends to cycle.

WJHall

Über Member
As everyone says do it like a car, keeping an eye on and eye contact with any driver about, signalling boldly and making sure you position yourself within the correct path so no one can cut across your path.

If at any particular roundabout you do not feel safe doing this then get off and walk round, using any pedestrian crossings there may be. (Is an RH turn on foot quicker by going anti-clockwise?)

(The highway code advice is only remotely feasible if you treat it as acting like a wheeled pedestrian, creeping round the extreme outer edge and treating each exit as a road crossing exercise.)

OP
OP
P

pbar

Bollo said:
What everyone else said, with extra points for the 'soft-skill' of making eye contact. I believe the way you describe is in the highway code...

You may feel safer walking your cycle round on the pavement or verge. If you decide to ride round keeping to the left-hand lane you should
  • be aware that drivers may not easily see you:ohmy:
  • take extra care when cycling across exits. You may need to signal right to show you are not leaving the roundabout:ohmy:
  • watch out for vehicles crossing your path to leave or join the roundaboutxx(

Unless someone can come up with a better one, this is probably the worst piece of advice in the highway code. Cyclecraft explains why.

Yes, I read that recently in the Highway Code (online), which is why I have been using that method. So glad now that I started this thread! Thanks again for all the advice, I'm definitely a lot clearer, and I intend to get the book you guys so highly recommend.
Can't wait to get in and get the bike out.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i will only take secondary position if i am turning left and feel safe, but even primary is better to stop other drivers turning left cutting in too close. i would advise taking primary position if going straight on or turning right on all occasions.

i have been in the middle lane (going straight ahead on a three lane carraigeway) in "secondary" position only to be overtaken by someone who hooked a left around me almost taking me out!!!! since then, i've always used primary position and never had a problem.

one thing i find that helps to get into the primary position is, when you want to move into the middle of the lane, look behind you at the driver and when you signal, put your palm out towards them as if ordering them to stop. be very assertive. when they slow down to let you in, give em a thumbs up to say thanks.

but nothing is perfect, beware of numpty driving instructers from the British School of Muppets who will then tell their pupils to undertake you and pull back in front of you :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

davidwalton

BentMikey said:
pbar, I would strongly suggest you buy Cyclecraft by John Franklin and read through it. You might also want to get some cycling lessons from your local council, these are often cheap or free.

As a bent rider, I do find it difficult to always be in a position to indicate my intention with arm signals. Is this a normal thing with bents, or something I need to get to grips with?

Even riding with one handed going straight is a little uncertain. I ride 2 handed at all times, indicating only on approach when the approach is straight. I then leave my road position to indicate my intent. I do look around as much as possible, as well as use my mirror to ensure my path is clear.

With rabbit type bars, I do often point fingers which surprisingly is often seen by car drivers though. Hands off though and the bike just is not going to stay up.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
And while we're at it, its mini-roundabouts that can be the most dangerous because:
  • the flow of traffic is much less predictable and the windows where you have right of way are shorter.
  • they usually need very tight turns if you're going right. This makes it particularly difficult to carry on indicating through the turn, as you you usually have to use both hands to brake and steer. If an oncoming driver only notices you after you've returned your right hand to the bars (all too common), then your right turn will come as a complete suprise to them, and you become human speed-bump.
  • many can't be realistically negotatied on a right turn without cutting across the white roundabout marking in the centre. In the wet, these can be lethally slippy.
I can't believe I've just bullet-pointed a post!:smile:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I always position exactly as I would in a car. As well as making eye contact, there are other things you can do to make drivers aware of you. Alter your position on the bike as you approach vehicles that are waiting to enter the roundabout, sit up, move your knees and elbows out a few times. It is surprising how little things like that bring you to the attention of motorists who might otherwise fail to take notice of you.

domtyler

Über Member
Talking about hand signals, I haven't made a hand signal for years. I indicate by looking over me shoulder and changing road position. If I'm turning left I swing out wide and then just make the turn. Right turns similarly, check over shoulder, slow and move over to right of lane and either wait or just swing over into the turning.

I used to find that making hand signals encouraged silly overtaking manoeuvres whereas leaving people in doubt about what I was doing encouraged them to give a wide berth.

Top Bottom