Roundabouts !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
davidwalton said:
Hand signals I was always told was rude:ohmy: Arm signals are for indicating intent.:smile:

:biggrin:I see what you did with that. Funnily enough, my favourite hand signal looks a bit like I'm waggling a very small roundabout.

wafflycat

I have been known, on the odd occasion, when deeply provoked, to do a hand gesture that is a not entirely accurate impersonation of Winston Churchill

I sometimes signal on roundabouts, although I'm always aware that if one of my arms is waving about in the breeze I've only got half my steering and braking ability. I tend to prefer to position myself in the middle of whatever lane I need to be in, ride as close to the speed of the other traffic as possible and keep my eyes and ears open, signalling if the vehicle behind seems in any doubt about where I'm going to go. Which s/he shouldn't be, given my position on the road, but you know how some drivers are.

OP
OP
P

pbar

Well, I went on a ride last night and headed for a couple of roundabouts to do as you guys suggest. And yes, felt much better. It felt right. Keeping to the left all the way round never did, but thought that's the best way as it's in the Highway Code. But was never sure which is why I started this thread.
So, thanks again, it's great that you guys with much more experience will take the time out to help. Cheers!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
davidwalton said:
As a bent rider, I do find it difficult to always be in a position to indicate my intention with arm signals. Is this a normal thing with bents, or something I need to get to grips with?

Even riding with one handed going straight is a little uncertain. I ride 2 handed at all times, indicating only on approach when the approach is straight. I then leave my road position to indicate my intent. I do look around as much as possible, as well as use my mirror to ensure my path is clear.

I wouldn't stress too much, but I would spend time working on your balance skills. When I first got my Hurri, it took me ~1000km to be able to cycle through one cycle farcility without putting down my hands or feet. What about getting some cones out in your local park (well, anything, shoes, etc), and then spending a half hour twice a week weaving in and out of them? Vary the spacing, vary the speed, vary the size of your oscillations, and learn to do them with one hand.

davidwalton

BentMikey said:
I wouldn't stress too much, but I would spend time working on your balance skills. When I first got my Hurri, it took me ~1000km to be able to cycle through one cycle farcility without putting down my hands or feet. What about getting some cones out in your local park (well, anything, shoes, etc), and then spending a half hour twice a week weaving in and out of them? Vary the spacing, vary the speed, vary the size of your oscillations, and learn to do them with one hand.

No Stress, just wondering whether it is normal on a Bent not to provide Arm Signals as stated in the Highway code and how to cycle books. I do when On approach to a turn while on the straight, but no way am I going to signal using Arm when not in a straight line. Just too many variables that can go wrong to make that unsafe, including road condition.

Yes, balance on a Bent is more interesting. Something I do practise as well. Not sure anything much less than an empty road in the dry, with road just washed down and sun dried, is safe for more signaling than I do now though; no matter how well I balance.

As a Motor Cycle Instructor, I taught others to be using a number of Arm Signals before all turns and direction changes. Just doesn't always appear practical on a Bent though, ie. not safe.

wafflycat

Depends upon the 'bent. On my 'bent trike there's no loss of balance issues, and the steering is so light I can steer it with one finger of one hand. So hand signals not a problem.

davidwalton

wafflycat said:
Depends upon the 'bent. On my 'bent trike there's no loss of balance issues, and the steering is so light I can steer it with one finger of one hand. So hand signals not a problem.

:wacko::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: Yes, I would have little balance problem with 3 wheels as well. Steering on my 2 wheels is always twitchy though. Held lightly, but held.

byegad

Legendary Member
Before my Vertigo I'd signal as much on my Azub as on my Trice or one of my DFs. The Azub is rideable with just two fingers lightly applied to the brake cables where they emrge from the handlebars. (A neat Azub feature is the cables run throught the bars!) If you cannot ride one handed for far then practice so you can. Sadly it looks like my two wheel days are over.

As to handling; I've only any meaningful two wheel 'bent experience on the Azub but you can really corner fast on it. Two wheel suspension and the ability to pedal ALL the time in a corner gives it a far more secure feel than an unsuspended road bike. Having ridden with a fair number of two wheel 'bents most seem to handle in a similar manner, although some of the low racers look more challenging.

I couldn't ride the Azub no hands, but two fingers resting on the brake cable was enough for miles at a time.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
davidwalton said:
No Stress, just wondering whether it is normal on a Bent not to provide Arm Signals as stated in the Highway code and how to cycle books.

OK, to be clear, it's not normal. You should be able to signal as easily as on a normal bike once you're used to riding a bent. Sorry, thought that was obv. in my previous post, but I didn't make myself clear enough.

davidwalton

BentMikey said:
OK, to be clear, it's not normal. You should be able to signal as easily as on a normal bike once you're used to riding a bent. Sorry, thought that was obv. in my previous post, but I didn't make myself clear enough.

OK, understood now:sad:

Thing is that the steering is a lot twitchier on my Bent than any DF bike I ever rode. It is never going to be as easy as a result, that I can see.

I have done a little over 300 miles on my Bent now. Yes, balance is far better than at the start of mile one, but to be able to get to the point of riding one handed easily is going to be another thing.

I will practise around obstacles riding slowly more.

buggi

Bird Saviour
davidwalton said:
With rabbit type bars, I do often point fingers which surprisingly is often seen by car drivers though. Hands off though and the bike just is not going to stay up.

probably your seen because they are not used to seeing a Bent and are watching you out of curiosity anyway.

Bollo said:
And while we're at it, its mini-roundabouts that can be the most dangerous because:
  • they usually need very tight turns if you're going right. This makes it particularly difficult to carry on indicating through the turn, as you you usually have to use both hands to brake and steer. If an oncoming driver only notices you after you've returned your right hand to the bars (all too common), then your right turn will come as a complete suprise to them, and you become human speed-bump.

i've had that problem, i have a mini-r on a slight hill and it's really awkward, i can't go round while signalling so i have to signal on approach and hope oncoming drivers see me. the only thing that helps is being tucked in on the right.

domtyler said:
Talking about hand signals, I haven't made a hand signal for years. I indicate by looking over me shoulder and changing road position. If I'm turning left I swing out wide and then just make the turn. Right turns similarly, check over shoulder, slow and move over to right of lane and either wait or just swing over into the turning.

I used to find that making hand signals encouraged silly overtaking manoeuvres whereas leaving people in doubt about what I was doing encouraged them to give a wide berth.

can totally see where you are coming from. it has the same effect as the controlled wobble if drivers are too close.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
pbar said:
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
So, basically, it's pretend you're in a car, but be loads more alert and assertive.
What you guys describe makes perfect sense. It's the exit that has troubled me once or twice, with cars to the left of me making it difficult to move across.
Gonna do what you say though, and get some practice first on some quiet one's, or at quiet times, to gain more confidence.

It takes a certain amount of confidence, but the rules are the same if you are on a bike as they are if you are in a car. As wafflycat says you need to be assertive not aggressive and be clear signalling your intentions. Rule 187 of the HC does allow cyclists and horse riders to stay in the left-hand lane and signal right. However this is more likely to confuse other road users, and on larger roundabouts it is hard to maintain a right signal and steer safely. Just follow rules 184 to 186 in the normal way, they are intended for all road users and haven't been flagged as just for vehicles.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
buggi said:
but nothing is perfect, beware of numpty driving instructers from the British School of Muppets who will then tell their pupils to undertake you and pull back in front of you :biggrin::thumbsdown::angry:

If you ever see any driving instructor letting a pupil do that, take their number, phone your local driving test centre, ask to speak to the supervising examiner and report the incident. Don't bother with the company or the police, the supervising examiner is far more likely to take immediate and effective action.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Or do what Cunobelin did, which is to pretend to forget which driving school it was, but not the reg. number of the car, and then write to all 6 driving schools in the area describing the driving and complaining about it. Apparently the dude was extremely incensed that his competition got to hear about his misdemeanors!

Top Bottom