Rounded Nipples

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bad boy

Über Member
Hi

Just a thought, what are the options for dealing with a rounded nipple is the rim toast ?, or can you by taking the tire, tube and rim tape off take it out that way somehow ?.

Thanks

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Nipple driver or screwdriver on the top once you have tyre, tube & tape off.

weevil

I heard that these can cope with fairly rounded nipples, but haven't had cause to invest in one yet.

1965-5260-full-qksw10-52.jpg

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
30 notes blimey its just a spanner what the hell !!.

Ill just take the wheel, tube and rim tape off if need be and use a screw driver sod that.

Matthames

Über Member
For rounded nipples I would just take the tyre, tube and rim tape off and extract the nipple using a flat head screwdriver and then replace the nipple, however if it is a machine built wheel there is a chance that the nipple would look a mess in the rim. I recently took one apart and it was shocking just how badly it was put together. If that is the case then look at getting a replacement spoke as you might have to extract it by cutting the spoke. If you go down the destructive route, make sure that you wear eye protection when you do it as the nipple end can fly off with some force.

jimboalee

Matthames said:
For rounded nipples I would just take the tyre, tube and rim tape off and extract the nipple using a flat head screwdriver and then replace the nipple, however if it is a machine built wheel there is a chance that the nipple would look a mess in the rim. I recently took one apart and it was shocking just how badly it was put together. If that is the case then look at getting a replacement spoke as you might have to extract it by cutting the spoke. If you go down the destructive route, make sure that you wear eye protection when you do it as the nipple end can fly off with some force.

Get a screwdriver bit set that has a 'special' with the centre missing.

There is always the chance the spoke has been filed flush with the end of the nipple.

There are two drivers for wheelbuilding, they are similar to screwdrivers.
One has a raised 'pip' in the centre and the other is as I described.
They locate into each other.

jimboalee

Rounded spoke nipples is the result of either of three problems.

1/ The spoke key was too big.
2/ Moisture has got down the thread.
3/ Moisture has got between the nipple shoulder and the rim.

There is a 'magic' potion to stop 2/ and 3/. It is Waxoil.

For all those with new bikes or newly built wheels. Squirt some Waxoil onto your fingers and rub it into the nipple threads and down the rim eyelet.

Job done.

OP
OP
B

bad boy

Über Member
02GF74 said:
it is notthe end of the world, you can alwyuas cut the spoke and replace it.

Sorry if this sounds stupid but by cutting the spoke does that not just remove the spoke as opposed to the rounded nipple !?.

I guess you would still need to use a screwdriver to unscrew the nipple from the rim and as Jimboalee pointed out if the spoke is filled flush you may need to use something else.

Top Bottom