Rounded off thru axle.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bbvelo

Regular
The thru axle on my mtb is completely rounded off. Ive tried using torx bits and flat head screw drivers to remove it but nothings working. Any ideas on how i can get it out?

JhnBssll

Veteran
I'd get a bolt extractor on it, should work with no problems. You will of course need to replace the axle.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Already tried it and unfortunately it's too far rounded off for that

Rock Shox ? - Not too happy with the normal Maxxel Lites with QR lever - so easy to break them. I soon learnt how soft they were.. I'm so careful with the 'two' bikes I have with them now... - it's a flipping MTB !!!!

OP
OP
bbvelo

bbvelo

Regular
Sort of embarrassed, I just dropped it off at my local bike shop. Hopefully they can fix it.

Jody

Stubborn git
Would that work? It's a hollow thru axle

There must be something you can get purchase on. If you can get a torx drive in then you must have somewhere to put an extractor.

Failing that if you're feeling brave would be a drift and a large hammer.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Sort of embarrassed, I just dropped it off at my local bike shop. Hopefully they can fix it.
Looks like a job for the bike shop. I can tell by the above that this could prove to be one of those problems that just opens up like a flower in spring, growing ever more complicated as it does so. Like my old Schwinn Passage, which I was trying to straighten, until I discovered that the frame had become so whippy that it would never align. Too many years of a heavy rider and heavy load, and I was the third owner I could think of.

keithmac

Guru

You do right, I've seen plenty of "attempts" by customers who've had a go at removing seized fasteners and it normally takes twice as long to sort out than if they'd just brought it to us first!.

Worste thing you can do is snap a rock hard tool or drill bit in the end, nigh on impossible to get out..

OP
OP
bbvelo

bbvelo

Regular
You do right, I've seen plenty of "attempts" by customers who've had a go at removing seized fasteners and it normally takes twice as long to sort out than if they'd just brought it to us first!.

Worste thing you can do is snap a rock hard tool or drill bit in the end, nigh on impossible to get out..
So is it a complicated job to sort out? Do you know roughly how long it takes to remove the axle (its rounded off badly)? Cheers

Top Bottom