Route Advice: Humber Bridge to Bridlington

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
The context is a possible attempt to cycle from Gloucester to Bridlington in a day, on a Saturday in a couple of month's time. At my standard pace it should take about 17½ hours, and I'd hope to reach the Humber Bridge at about 5pm.

I'm reasonably happy that I can pick a decent route as far as the big bridge. Thereafter I feel I'm completely guessing. With no motorways crossing East Yorkshire to draw heavy traffic away from the A-roads, I'm uneasy about planning to use the straightforward main road route via Beverley. Would this be a complete no-no?

Fairly obviously, my priority will be to make sedate and steady progress. I see that Sustrans route 65 would take me from the bridge through the centre of Hull, eventually linking with a combination of B-roads and minor roads for the final phase to Bridlington. What's the Sustrans route like? I don't normally look for specific cycle routes, but provided I could make consistent progress through the city it might be a refreshing change.

Another left-field alternative would be to head for Boothferry Bridge, near Goole, instead of the Humber Bridge. Further south that route also seems to work quite well, and coming from that angle I can see good alternatives to A-roads for the final bit across East Yorkshire. But I'd face the full force of the Yorkshire Wolds at around the 200 mile mark, whereas going via the Humber Bridge I'd miss them completely.

On balance, I think I'm edging towards the Boothferry Bridge option, but I'm genuinely uncertain and I'd greatly appreciate the benefit of anyone's knowledge.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
With this bit being at the end of the ride are you wanting to keep it as flat as possible & do you mind cycling A roads. I'll plot a route out for you. Is the route ok plotted on Strava?

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
With this bit being at the end of the ride are you wanting to keep it as flat as possible & do you mind cycling A roads. I'll plot a route out for you. Is the route ok plotted on Strava?
Thanks for the reply. I don't mind A roads in general, as they're often the best for clocking up miles. There are some in my local area that I would never use. and what I'm seeing on the map around Hull particularly gives me cause for concern. The recommendation of a local is therefore priceless.

I'm not looking for hills, but the total climbing for the day will be quite modest anyway - roughly the same as last weekend's ride which was a little over half the length. Minimising distance is a higher priority.

If you can plot me a suggested route on Strava that will be great. It will also make me feel I really have to do it now...

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks. I see the logic, and it's certainly different to anything I'd come up with.

You seem to be preferring the A165 out of Hull over the Sustrans route. I'd be more than happy with that - is it a firm recommendation?

I see you've avoided the A165 for the final approach to Bridlington and added a few miles in the process. Would I be unwise to use the main road at that point?

Soltydog

Legendary Member
The sustrans route uses the old railway line out of Hull & especially near Hull, there's a lot of gates to pass through, dog walkers & it can be quite slow going. Some of the tarmac sections on that part are also being broken up by tree routes so a little rough too, unless you were heading on the route via Beverley, which is probably ok, but I'm not familiar with it all & that way takes you onto the edge of the wolds, so a little more climbing :okay:
I use the A165 out of Hull on my commute & it's fairly safe, a cycle lane &/or bus lane for the most of it. The last section of the route, the A165 is particularly fast, some of it's national speed limit with no cycle lane & not a road I've cycled. Without wanting to cause offence to anyone, the route I've plotted takes you past a traveller's site on the approach to Bridlington, which if you are travelling late in the day/evening may not be your cup of tea. I've cycled that way a few times with no issues though.

If you fancy some company on the final stretch, I'm happy to guide you if I'm not working:okay:

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks again. I saw a YouTube video of part of the Sustrans route and I thought it might be as you describe.

As I'm sure you've guessed, I have a holiday cottage booked near Flamborough; my wife and probably one daughter will be driving up, so everything is in place for a memorable ride if I decide to give it a go. Even the bailout strategy is covered, although if I do need to be picked up, I will never hear the last of it.

If you fancy some company on the final stretch, I'm happy to guide you if I'm not working:okay:

That would be great if it works out. I'll keep you posted by PM as my plans firm up.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Even the bailout strategy is covered, although if I do need to be picked up, I will never hear the last of it.

That would be great if it works out. I'll keep you posted by PM as my plans firm up.

If I am free & you need a bail out option, I could always pick you up in the car & drop you near Flamborough, SWMBO never need know :okay::laugh:

ps I have a similar plan in August, we have a holiday booked over on the west coast & I'm planning to ride over whilst the family go in the car. My back up will be the train, should I be unable to make it

Chapeau if you complete that ride @Aravis, it sounds like quite an adventure.

As a resident of these parts I know most of the roads on the route that @Soltydog has plotted for you and I would have suggested something pretty similar myself - there's some pleasant riding from Ganstead onwards.

If you've never been to Hull before, please don't judge the city by the route you will soon be taking through it! The A165 is dull and avoids most of the more interesting parts of the city, but it is an effective way of getting across at a decent rate and I'm sure that'll be more important to you at this stage of the ride than photo opportunities.

It'll be teatime as you pass through by the sounds of it, so if you and famished and have time to stop I'd recommend a slight detour to the Minerva pub at the marina for a good feed and a pint of ale in my favourite snug in the city.

Cheers.

OP
OP
Aravis

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Thanks for the info @EasyPeez. Two votes in favour of the A165 is a really useful steer.

Chapeau is somewhat premature - I don't think this will be happening if the breeze isn't in my half at least. I'm imagining a gentle waft from the south west and the temperature in the mid to high teens - it could happen!

I live in an ugly city myself (hope that doesn't offend anyone) and I certainly won't judge Hull from a first viewing when I'm 190 miles into the ride. I don't think I'll be stopping at a hostelry though. To make up for my very slow pace I tend to keep stops to an absolute minimum - doing two things at once wherever possible to save a few seconds, if you know what I mean.

Two votes in favour of the A165 - I wouldn't vote for the A165 under any circumstances but yours! It's direct and easy to follow, and has a bus lane along various stretches.Nothing else good can be said of it! If you can get along it an hour earlier that would help you avoid rush hour traffic.

I tend to keep stops to an absolute minimum - doing two things at once wherever possible to save a few seconds - probably best not to enquire into the finer details :okay:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Crossing the Humber at Boothferry/Goole looks a good route to me, the A614 on the other side goes direct Bridlington.

My knowledge of the patch is limited to doing the York - Humber Bridge - York circuit a few times, but that Bridlington road looks fairly flat, at least to start with.

The 614 isn't too bad out of Howden but I personally wouldn't want to follow it out to Brid. Nor would I use the A165 once you get past Hull. Both are flattish and direct but you'll be sharing the road with traffic doing 60mph for long stretches. The noise and buffeting of vehicles shooting past will make it no fun at all, and I'd be constantly fearing close passes.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The 614 isn't too bad out of Howden but I personally wouldn't want to follow it out to Brid. Nor would I use the A165 once you get past Hull. Both are flattish and direct but you'll be sharing the road with traffic doing 60mph for long stretches. The noise and buffeting of vehicles shooting past will make it no fun at all, and I'd be constantly fearing close passes.

Local knowledge is invaluable as the OP observed.

I'd nip down almost any road for a mile or two if it suited, but that Brid stretch is too far in the conditions you describe.

That B road towards Oswaldkirk we did was a bit iffy, although I suppose the motorcyclist doing a ton did pass us on the other side of the white line.

Unlike a couple of speeding car drivers.

Local knowledge is invaluable as the OP observed.

I'd nip down almost any road for a mile or two if it suited, but that Brid stretch is too far in the conditions you describe.

That B road towards Oswaldkirk we did was a bit iffy, although I suppose the motorcyclist doing a ton did pass us on the other side of the white line.

Unlike a couple of speeding car drivers.

Haha, yes, that road was OK but I wouldn't have fancied following it much further than we did, even on that fairly quiet Sunday. The 2 A roads that the OP might consider are actually not dissimilar to that road to Oswaldkirk - ok for a bit if necessary but best avoided for long stretches. Especially with the after-work traffic/gathering dusk that might coincide with his timings.

Top Bottom