Route advice nr Isle of Skye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jugglingphil

Towards the end of October, my family and I are having a weeks holiday near Plockton/Kyle of Lochalsh.

My wife has suggested I take my bike (she's a good woman). Now my memory of the area is it's a lot hillier than Nottinghamshire and there are a lot less back-roads.

I'm don't think my legs are up to the mega-climb to Applecross, so can anyone help with some route suggestions.

I usually cycle between 20-50 miles. Any longer and the family's goodwill diminishes, and my body needs a rest.
Could co-inside with some family trips. Ie I meet them at a destination and we drive home together, or vice-versa.

Thanks

chrtho

The ride along Glen Torridon is magnificent and fairly flat. Turn right and the main road to Achnasheen is wide, straight and tedious but the return down Glen Carron is pretty good if you are thinking of doing the complete loop.

Another trip worth considering is over the Skye Bridge to Broadford and then the B road to Elgol for a stunning view of the Cuillins.

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

The ride along Glen Torridon is magnificent and fairly flat. Turn right and the main road to Achnasheen is wide, straight and tedious but the return down Glen Carron is pretty good if you are thinking of doing the complete loop.

Another trip worth considering is over the Skye Bridge to Broadford and then the B road to Elgol for a stunning view of the Cuillins.
Thanks, had a quick look on google maps and my appetite is well and truely wetted.

could you get your family to drop you off somewhere and do one-way rides? north skye, through Portree and back over the bridge would be fantastic...
You could even consider a drop me off here, pick me up here option for 1 day... just a thought.

and if you are even vaguely interested in photogrpahy, then there is loads around that area...
Quiraing 09_September.jpg

Sligachan Bridge 10_October.jpg

Elgol IMG_7614v2.jpg

sunrise over the torridons IMG_8438_800.jpg

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

could you get your family to drop you off somewhere and do one-way rides? north skye, through Portree and back over the bridge would be fantastic...
You could even consider a drop me off here, pick me up here option for 1 day... just a thought.

and if you are even vaguely interested in photogrpahy, then there is loads around that area...
Quiraing View attachment 29779

Sligachan Bridge View attachment 29780

Elgol View attachment 29781

sunrise over the torridons View attachment 29782

Wow great photos.
1 way rides are definitely a good idea.

fimm

Veteran
The Bealach na Ba is long rather than very steep - but once you are over you either have to come back or do a very lumpy circuit round the coast. (Or get your family to meet you in Applecross & take you back - the pub there is nice.)

Another more challenging route would be to go up the A87 to Sheil Bridge and then go over the high road to Glenelg. That's a good climb, though, I've only ever driven it. From Glenelg get the nice wee ferry to Kylerhea (check it is running before you set off!) and then another climb and some lumps take you back to Kyle of Lochalsh.

Maybe going to Elgol would be a better idea... If you can get a lift part of the way, the loop round the northen peninsula of Skye is very nice (this one I have cycled).

The Bealach na Ba is long rather than very steep - but once you are over you either have to come back or do a very lumpy circuit round the coast. (Or get your family to meet you in Applecross & take you back - the pub there is nice.)

Another more challenging route would be to go up the A87 to Sheil Bridge and then go over the high road to Glenelg. That's a good climb, though, I've only ever driven it. From Glenelg get the nice wee ferry to Kylerhea (check it is running before you set off!) and then another climb and some lumps take you back to Kyle of Lochalsh.

Maybe going to Elgol would be a better idea... If you can get a lift part of the way, the loop round the northen peninsula of Skye is very nice (this one I have cycled).
Second both the first two. Bealach na Ba is definitely worth the climb. Maybe even going to the top then turning around and retrace your route.

Also the loop using the Glenelg ferry and Skye bridge. I did it the opposite way around to yours but still a great ride.

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

I've driven to Glenelg and taken the ferry on foot to look at the otters. I do remember it being a big climb!

Applecross pub is a definite good day out, it's whether I cycle there! Interesting that you (fimm & bikepacker) think it's less challenging than other routes.

fimm

Veteran
The thing is the Bealach na Ba is long rather than very steep... I stopped and took plenty of photos, this is a good plan. I did have to walk one section, because there was a headwind coming straight down it (and I think that was the steepest bit). On the one hand, I'm reasonably fit and a reasonable climber (for a woman); on the other hand, I only have a road bike and my bottom gear isn't very low - I reckon I could have got up if I'd had a lower gear (or been a bit stronger to push the one I'd got).

Bikepacker's suggestion of turning round and going back down the way you came up is also a good one, if you can't get your family to meet you in Applecross.

theloafer

Legendary Member
I've driven to Glenelg and taken the ferry on foot to look at the otters. I do remember it being a big climb!

Applecross pub is a definite good day out, it's whether I cycle there! Interesting that you (fimm & bikepacker) think it's less challenging than other routes.

this is the climb from the Glenelg ferry its not that bad..:whistle: but then I love hills ^_^
STA70262.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I did the Bealach na Ba from the Applecross side, as part of a 60 mile loop - I think not quite so steep approaching from the west? Stopped several times for a rest and chocolate but we were pleased with ourselves that we didn't walk. Worth it for the smug glow of self satisfaction at the top! (Lessened slightly in our case by meeting a team of lads on the top who had cycled up the steeper side, without stopping, with fully loaded panniers....)

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

I did the Bealach na Ba from the Applecross side, as part of a 60 mile loop - I think not quite so steep approaching from the west? Stopped several times for a rest and chocolate but we were pleased with ourselves that we didn't walk. Worth it for the smug glow of self satisfaction at the top! (Lessened slightly in our case by meeting a team of lads on the top who had cycled up the steeper side, without stopping, with fully loaded panniers....)

But those lads probably met a blind 90 year old unicyclist coming the other way! There is always someone who has ridden further, harder, faster. I'm expecting a massive glow of self satisfaction at going up any hills in Scotland.

Top Bottom