Route advice nr Isle of Skye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Probably shouldn’t add this as it may put the OP off going up but I was 68 and riding a fully loaded Super Galaxy at the time. On that bend just after the pole was where I knackered my leg (pulled muscle and ligament). It was on the rocks just to the left of your handlebar bag where I sat to assess the damage and where I think my windstopper headband fell out of my pocket. So if anyone passes by and finds it you know who it belongs to. Little chance though it was 2 years ago. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

I think I'll give Bealach na Ba a go as long as I get some reasonable weather. So thanks for the encouragement. I now have a list of names I can curse all the way up and hopefully praise all the way down.

Theloafer / Bikepacker, definitely no panniers and I'll keep an eye out for your headband ;)

fimm

Veteran
@theloafer, that's an impressive load to have got up there...
I think I may also have a photo of my bike leaning against that pole, but I'm not going to post it as I didn't have any luggage... (mind you, I expect (hope!) theloafer had lower gears...) ;)
Enjoy the ride, jugglingphil - and note that the best views back down on that side are not from right at the top, but in the area shown.

theloafer

Legendary Member
@theloafer, that's an impressive load to have got up there...
I think I may also have a photo of my bike leaning against that pole, but I'm not going to post it as I didn't have any luggage... (mind you, I expect (hope!) theloafer had lower gears...) ;)
Enjoy the ride, jugglingphil - and note that the best views back down on that side are not from right at the top, but in the area shown.

dam right ..very low gearing on my tourer :laugh: my old knees need all the help they can get...:thumbsup:

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

OK I'm back from a week in Stromeferry. Managed to get out for 3 rides.
Stromeferry - Plockton - Kyle of Lochalsh - Balmacarra - Stromeferry. 22.5 miles 1500ft ascent
Isle of Skye (nr Sconser) - Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton - Stomeferry. 32 miles 1500ft ascent
Stromeferry - Loch Carron - Applecross. 30 miles 3000ft ascent.

Wow this part of Scotland is so beautiful. The weather was pretty kind. Traffic was pretty good on all roads an in the end I preferred the larger roads rather than the single.

Bealach na Ba. Well I got up it. Had to stop a quite a few times, especially on the section before the switchbacks. Had a headwind for much of the day, but then during the steepest bit also got some rain. Took it really easy on the way down, and my wife and kids arrived in Applecross at the same time I did (so they didn't see me struggling). Great pub lunch at the Applecross Inn, then home in the car.
There were a few other cyclists out at the same time, one young guy flew up past me an another person in yellow just kept getting further away.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to give it a go, I feel amazingly proud of myself having made it.

ScotiaLass

Guru
Glad you enjoyed Scotland :smile:
I live here but we holiday up North most years....next June we're having a few days in Skye and then to the beach at Nairn for the week.
I want to take the bike...hubby says I can if I buy a bike rack!!
Unfortunately it has to be one of those expensive tow bar varieties so we'll see....

OP
OP
jugglingphil

jugglingphil

Glad you enjoyed Scotland :smile:
I live here but we holiday up North most years....next June we're having a few days in Skye and then to the beach at Nairn for the week.
I want to take the bike...hubby says I can if I buy a bike rack!!
Unfortunately it has to be one of those expensive tow bar varieties so we'll see....

Do it.
You have plenty of time to look for racks on ebay etc and find a bargin.

theloafer

Legendary Member
OK I'm back from a week in Stromeferry. Managed to get out for 3 rides.
Stromeferry - Plockton - Kyle of Lochalsh - Balmacarra - Stromeferry. 22.5 miles 1500ft ascent
Isle of Skye (nr Sconser) - Kyle of Lochalsh - Plockton - Stomeferry. 32 miles 1500ft ascent
Stromeferry - Loch Carron - Applecross. 30 miles 3000ft ascent.

Wow this part of Scotland is so beautiful. The weather was pretty kind. Traffic was pretty good on all roads an in the end I preferred the larger roads rather than the single.

Bealach na Ba. Well I got up it. Had to stop a quite a few times, especially on the section before the switchbacks. Had a headwind for much of the day, but then during the steepest bit also got some rain. Took it really easy on the way down, and my wife and kids arrived in Applecross at the same time I did (so they didn't see me struggling). Great pub lunch at the Applecross Inn, then home in the car.
There were a few other cyclists out at the same time, one young guy flew up past me an another person in yellow just kept getting further away.

Thanks to all who encouraged me to give it a go, I feel amazingly proud of myself having made it.

well done phil..:thumbsup: knew you would enjoy yourself .... any pics

Glad you enjoyed the rides. No sign of my headband then on Bealach na Ba. ^_^^_^

Benbeckid

Cycling Skye is good. I did it leaving uig camp site to Armadale in the wet but that's my neck of the woods so it didn't bother me. 57miles or so and then stayed at one of the camp sites at arisaig and had a good meal and couple of pints at the pub at the top of the hill. Also the North end of Skye if you go up hill out of uig will give you a very good stretch of coastal roads. All I can say is enjoy it but be prepaired

Top Bottom