Route from Lochgilphead to Oban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bruce1530

Guru
Considering a wee west coast expedition later this year, and we were considering various routes earlier today. Part of to involves a ferry trip from Ardrossan to Arran, cycle from Brodick to Lochranza, ferry to Claonaig, then bike to Oban.

The route from Claonaig to Lochgilphead is straightforward enough, then follow the canal to Crinan.

Strava then suggests a route which basically follows the A816, hugging the coast in places. Pretty much 100km from Claonaig to Oban.

Google maps and cycle.travel suggests a route following the west side of Loch Awe then via Taynuilt, basically following Route 78. 118 km

Any thoughts?

tyred

Legendary Member
I did NCN 78 last year and the bit between Lochgilphead and Oban was probably the most enjoyable section of the whole route for me. Quite a lot of it is on gravel paths though from what I remember, I was riding an old MTB so no problem but if you are riding a skinny tyred road bike, NCN 78 may not be for you.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Considering a wee west coast expedition later this year, and we were considering various routes earlier today. Part of to involves a ferry trip from Ardrossan to Arran, cycle from Brodick to Lochranza, ferry to Claonaig, then bike to Oban.

The route from Claonaig to Lochgilphead is straightforward enough, then follow the canal to Crinan.

Strava then suggests a route which basically follows the A816, hugging the coast in places. Pretty much 100km from Claonaig to Oban.

Google maps and cycle.travel suggests a route following the west side of Loch Awe then via Taynuilt, basically following Route 78. 118 km

Any thoughts?

Yes, I did this as a part of my Outer Hebrides tour about ten years ago. I don't have a Strava record or RWGPS route but I've had a quick look at Google maps. I hope this will help. There is a long climb from Brodrick over to Lochranza, just long that's all. After arriving in Claonaig I rode towards Tarbert and then turned south on the B8024 and followed it all the way round till it eventually delivered me back on the A83 at Invernell >Lochgilphead (on A816) >B840 Ford and then followed the road round the west of Loch Awe >Inverliever >Kilmaha >Annat >Kilchrennan >Taynuilt. You will encounter three climbs varying around 7-10% in sections. Loaded I found these tough and did walk one short section. I can recall cursing myself (while walking!) for not going round the easier east side of Loch Awe but this does spit you out on to the A85. You would encounter traffic on the A85 to Taynuilt but "busy" is a relative word!

I guess it's a reasonable bet your A816 coastal option will be pretty quiet. This is the west coast of Scotland.

I have friends who live in Taynuilt and was always going to Oban that way. I can't comment on the A816 as I've only been on about five miles of it! Knowing the route using Loch Awe I think I would plump for using the west side. It's lovely riding but does involve a bit of pain - as do the majority of rides I go on!! The A85 from Taynuilt to Oban isn't great fun but is only 11 miles, 45 minutes or so.

Oban is fine, not the prettiest place but quite a lot to look at and see.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I like Oban! My mum was born nearby and went to school there. I have visited it many times over the years.

I was up there at the start of September, 2016 and cycled some of the roads in question. I rode from Connel down to Kilmore via a singletrack lane above Oban, and then the A816 to Kimelford. From there I went round the western side of Loch Avich to Barnaline Lodge then picked up the road round the west side of Loch Awe (route 78) to Taynuilt, and followed it up Glen Lonan back towards Connel/Oban. I'll just refresh my memory...

This is what I wrote at the time:

The road from Connel to Kilmore was very nice. A bit like a rollercoaster, and narrow, with passing places. Most of the minor roads round here are like that.

The A816 appears to have been resurfaced recently; proper tarmac, not that nasty surface dressing that often gets used! It was fun whizzing along on it, unfortunately into a 10 mph cross/headwind. Traffic was fairly light and drivers were polite, patient and careful, except for one who overtook me slightly closer and faster than I like.

The singletrack road from Kilmelford to Kilchrenan was great. It had some 15% ramps on it, and the rest was more rollercoaster stuff. Lots of craggy hills, forestry (unfortunately lots of close-planted conifers rather than natural woodland), distant mist-shrouded mountains and views of the sea and lochs.

The surface on the singletrack roads was not so great, but similar to a lot of rough lanes in Yorkshire so I am used to that kind of thing.

The B845 up Glen Nant was wider and better surfaced so I cracked on a bit up there and down to Taynuilt.

The A85 probably would have been ok [In September - probably much busier in the summer], but I was looking forward to Glen Lonan - it did not disappoint! More ups and downs, and twists and turns, forests, cottages, sheep, hills, MORE distant mountains ... And ... AND I finally found the Highland cattle! My family had been discussing our holiday and someone asked where all the Highland cows were. Answer: Glen Lonan! I found about 50 Highland cows and their calves wandering about in an unfenced field next to the road. In the midst of them was a huge Highland bull with a contented look on his face ... :whistle:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Genuine question: Why?

(There's a reason behind this but it's too long and boring to explain.)
If you are looking for a picturesque fishing town you will be a touch disappointed though there are some pretty parts. If you want a good town base for local touring then Oban is a great location. If you are staying in the area it's likely you will need to to visit Oban for shops etc. You'll find all the amenities you'll need on the doorstep, some decent restaurants, many types of accommodation, pubs, cafes, safe place to wander round in the evening. There is plenty of walking, sightseeing, cycling, castles and lochs to see and it's not called the Gateway to the Isles for nothing. Local festivals, arts events, chocolatery, distillery etc. The sunsets can be superb.

Don't forget Oban is a long way from central Scotland, it will be different.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I will make no comment about Oban. In fact I am 6 miles from Oban at the moment and decided to refresh my memory about the Taynauilt/ Glen Lonan route to Oban. Undulating and winding with short steep hills is the best description. The surface is quite good for cycling. There is generally not much traffic which is just as well since there are very few passing places and some are places I would not wish to put my drive wheels into as they look very soft. On this occasion I do not have my bike with me in order to give extra space in the car which is a mistake as the weather is better than forecast. I never seem to get it right although I did meet somebody from Tobermory who told me there was heavy snow as they were leaving this morning.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
We visited last September, maybe we expected more, but it seemed bleak and run-down with nothing to commend it apart from the ferry out of there....
Last year I was discharged from the local hospital about midday on a Saturday and I thought it would be a good idea to hang about Oban on a nice sunny day to wait for a ferry which had a connecting bus. After a short walk round I got an earlier ferry and took my chances on getting a lift. All tourists unfortunately but it was better sitting on a wall in Craignure than hanging around Oban. The advent of supermarkets has changed things but in the past the local shops attitude was that they were doing you a favour allowing you to buy something rather than being glad of your custom.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
One place that was a delightful surprise was Ullapool. I had no preconceptions (though the name doesn't sound nice) and it's another port town (see Dover - file under 'Shithole'). We arrived in darkness after a long drive from Oban IIRC, parked for the night in some dingy car park among trucks and trailers. Next morning went to take the dog for a walk and to my surprise it was fabulous!

Top Bottom