Route from Lochgilphead to Oban?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Probably changed now but not my favourite camp site. No body to meet arrivals but two heavies arrived at 0700 and demanded site fees as apparently many sneaked off early without paying. It was pouring rain so they had to wait outside while I searched for money while not in the best of moods. One shop hated motorhomes as he said they spent nothing in the town. As he was one of our customers I did not tell him we travelled by motorhome.
When I cycled there the climb out going north is memorable but probably a nightmare now due to NC 500.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When I cycled there the climb out going north is memorable but probably a nightmare now due to NC 500.
When I first heard about NC 500 I thought that it sounded really exciting, but then I heard what has happened since... :sad:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
A lot of the Tongue to JOG ride was the grottiest of my LEJOG, even out of tourist season. More close passes and ignorance than in all of the previous 1,000 miles!

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I liked the remark about caravanners made a few years ago by a tourism manager for Northumberland.

He said: "They bring a fiver, a clean shirt, and change neither."

He was sacked, but should have been promoted.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I liked the remark about caravanners made a few years ago by a tourism manager for Northumberland.

He said: "They bring a fiver, a clean shirt, and change neither."

He was sacked, but should have been promoted.
It’s a constant accusation...however me and @Hill Wimp ensure that wherever we travel we always invest heavily in the local brewing and hospitality industries....we do our best, hic...

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I recall one of the young pop singers, whose name I forget, saying her mother always taught her to spend a little money wherever she went.

A good maxim which I try to follow even if it might only be a few quid to park the car before going for a bike ride.

Interesting article posted by Fabbers about tourists causing problems on the NC500 car/bike route.

I fancy doing some of it in the car, but whenever I visit Scotland I tend to run out of driving steam before I reach Inverness.

People living along the NC500 will probably be pleased to hear that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Coast_500

A good maxim which I try to follow even if it might only be a few quid to park the car before going for a bike ride.

your good deed is surely cancelled by taking the car pale rider?

Ride all the way, or train it part way.

(my comment is maybe partly genetic - my dad would only pay to park the car under extreme torture)

oldwheels

Legendary Member
It’s a constant accusation...however me and @Hill Wimp ensure that wherever we travel we always invest heavily in the local brewing and hospitality industries....we do our best, hic...
I agree with you but why is it assumed by the critics that towing caravans or holiday home tenants are any different? I have seen lots of holiday home renters carrying in boxes of food from mainland supermarkets.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I agree with you but why is it assumed by the critics that towing caravans or holiday home tenants are any different? I have seen lots of holiday home renters carrying in boxes of food from mainland supermarkets.
Easy targets maybe, more transient, simple hate, who knows?
Motorhomes are certainly good for the local fuel trade....

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
your good deed is surely cancelled by taking the car pale rider?

Ride all the way, or train it part way.

(my comment is maybe partly genetic - my dad would only pay to park the car under extreme torture)

My car assisted rides are too far away for riding to and from to be a realistic option.

Top Bottom