Route help required please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

postman

Legendary Member
So every couple of years my cycling buddy and me take a trip to sunny Scarborough.The route has always been the same.Wetherby,Rufforth ,York all nice and flat.Then Stamford Bridge still flat.It's after that my mate has told me today he does not like.Walking up Garrowby Hill,Fridaythorpe,Sledmere and onto Burton Fleming.
Now we are both a little older than last time we did it.I think my mate is 72,so this could be the final time we do this ride together.He has asked me to find a flatter route from York to Scarborough.we have had no problems after Hunmanby,well i never have.but could some of you local to the area or if you have found a flatter route to sunny Scarborough share it with me.Many thanks.

My route has been this.Wetherby,Long Marston,Acomb,York,Stamford Bridge,Fridaythorpe,Fimber,Sledmere,Thwing,Burton Fleming,Hunmamby then it gets straight into Scarborough on a fab bit of road.Smooth and fast.So i will look at the only map i have and i will trawl the tinternet.But your local knowledge will be much better,thanks in advance.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Have you got Google Maps on your phone or your computer? Try putting in the start point and destination then asking for a cycling route. A pal of mine used it to ride from Lancashire to Cornwall for a wedding and was amazed at the nice routes Google selected for him.

The only problem with google cycle routes is that it picks off-road (canal paths etc).Depends on which bike you'd be using.

Howsabout this. Still got a couple of hills - but not so high, and maybe a wee bit shorter. Nothing higher than the climb over the watershed out of Leeds.

Leeds (out by Coal Road and Skeltons Lane) - Thorner - Bramham - Tadcaster - A64 (cycle path) - York - (between Gate Hemsley and Stamford Bridge, take a left through) - Buttercrambe - Norton and Malton - then [This bit I'm sure of - done fairly recently; easy riding.]

either Thornton-le-Dale - A170 - Scarborough [Done a few years ago, with my kids, in the other direction; not nearly as unfriendly as the A64.]

or thread through the back road, through Low Marishes - join the B1528 to Snainton - and the A170 [Done once - long time ago; no memory of how easy it was to follow; but we didn't get lost!]

Any help?

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
growingvegatables.that route out of York looks very popular on the tinternet.There are a few people who have put Low Marishes down as part of the route.

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
Ok after much looking i am going to present this route to my mate,for his consideration.So thanks to you all for your help.

I am not bothered how we get to York,either via Wetherby or Thorner - Tadcaster.It is from York.So
York-Stamford Bridge-Buttercrambe-Leavening-Burythorpe-Norton-Malton-Low Marishes-Marishes-A169 to ThorntonDale-A170-Wilton-Allerston-Snainton-Ruston-Hutton Buscel-East Ayton-Scarborough.
York to Scarborough max 48 miles.
Thank you for your help.
Anyone organize some sunshine.

A pleasure - now go off and enjoy it! Sunshine has been ordered for the day (sorry - had to be by second class delivery, though :evil:).

OP
OP
postman

postman

Legendary Member
I can alter this and save a couple of miles,by following Marishes and going to Yedlingham,then Snainton.Nice to have some other options.I did not look at ridewithgps fully.It is a lot flatter than three years ago,thanks.

Top Bottom