Route plan or free ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gazza81

Über Member
Im just curious as to what other people do?

I always plan a route, normally 20-30 miles but recently been thinking i might just go and free ride see where it takes me.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Bit of both depending on mood and aims. I will often set off with a route in mind but then change or adapt plans along the way as the whim takes me. Occasionally plan a gps route and then stick to it religiously.
Don't think I have ever set off without an inkling of an idea of where I will head, how can you?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Bit of both depending on mood and aims. I will often set off with a route in mind but then change or adapt plans along the way as the whim takes me. Occasionally plan a gps route and then stick to it religiously.
Don't think I have ever set off without an inkling of an idea of where I will head, how can you?

I'll often set off without an inkling where I'm going, turn left or right out the driveway.

But then I've lived and cycled within the same patch for 30 years, and it's all very good cycling country (if you like hills) occasionally I will come across a track or lane I don't know, but I will have a reasonable idea in my head where it must end up eventually.

It's my idea of a 'recreational cycle ride' otherwise I'm going somewhere for a purpose, but still I'll prefer to go out one way, and back another if I can.

If I'm out for days or weeks, in an area I don't know so well, then I will start with a rough route, then usually deviate, as the whim, and the map takes me - that's the joy of touring with a tent :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Like others, a bit of both. Am happy enough to do an on the hoof 100 mile down here in deepest darkest Kentishire as know the area so well. Other places will work out a route beforehand.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
No, unlike @mudsticks I cannot set off without an initial destination or reason for a ride, even if it is a weakly manufactured one. Without a justification for a departure there is no departure, perhaps it's just me?

I'm a bit like that, though not averse to adding or subtracting a bit from the pre-planned route depending on how I'm feeling.

I'm lucky in that I can cycle in pretty well any direction from here and find nice countryside within a few miles. That means that I can usually arrange for the wind to be against me for the first part of a ride and behind me on the way back.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'll generally have a route in mind before I set off, but I'm not adverse to changing it on the fly for any number of reasons.
As others have said, I've cycled that much around here that I know most places I'll ride. I have downloaded a GPS route to follow, and done a few sportives and I'm not entirely adverse to route planning, but generally don't bother.

OP
OP
gazza81

gazza81

Über Member
See i plan a route on strava then follow it with my 520.

Sometimes i get back and feel like i could have stayed out longer so ive been thinking about just free riding it.

Problem with that is ive not lived in the area long and dont know where im going haha
I know I'll always be able to get home with the 520 its whether my legs can get me home ha!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
No, unlike @mudsticks I cannot set off without an initial destination or reason for a ride, even if it is a weakly manufactured one. Without a justification for a departure there is no departure, perhaps it's just me?

Reason = Pleasure

What more do you need ??
:rolleyes:

See i plan a route on strava then follow it with my 520.

Sometimes i get back and feel like i could have stayed out longer so ive been thinking about just free riding it.

Problem with that is ive not lived in the area long and dont know where im going haha
I know I'll always be able to get home with the 520 its whether my legs can get me home ha!

Where is this Strava, of which you speak??

Is the scenery pleasant ??

Are the natives friendly ??

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I almost always set off with a firm destination (usually a nice town or village) in mind, but the route there and back can be different and may or may not vary randomly depending on wind, how I feel, what I see in the distance, all sorts. So a bit of both.

Ajax Bay

Guru
In our Wednesday 'ride to the pub' group, we are completing an 'alphabet pub' challenge between us: image (with bike) posted on Whatsapp or Fb.
This provides a optional set of waypoints to route round/through for daily rides. No consecutive posting to encourage a joint effort. Agricultural Inn, Blue Ball. Cranberry Farm, Digger's Rest, Exeter Inn, . . . so far. We are going to struggle with X and Z.
Of course our Wednesday social refreshment these days is on Zoom, with no opportunity for buying a round.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Staying local so it’s all lanes and tracks I know. No need to plan. I can just have an outline for a loop in my head and will usually have a rough idea of how it’ll take. I am however combining the lanes in ways I haven’t done before just to keep it a bit more local than usual.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Staying local so it’s all lanes and tracks I know. No need to plan. I can just have an outline for a loop in my head and will usually have a rough idea of how it’ll take. I am however combining the lanes in ways I haven’t done before just to keep it a bit more local than usual.
Same as, no route planning, GPS or computer: known local loops combined or tacked together in different ways & directions.

The only things I'll check beforehand are temperature with wind speed & direction. Being a part timer, I'm always trying to return with the tail wind.

Top Bottom