Routes in and around Edinburgh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eoin Rua

Evening all,

Started cycling about 3 weeks ago in Edinburgh - mainly as a means of getting out to university campus which is just over 5 miles each way - but most evenings I go for rides of about 10-15 miles, but I was just wondering if anyone has any good routes of similar length?

I would normally do Arthur's Seat, or down to Musselburgh, or up around Liberton/Gilmerton but looking for somewhere new.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! :angry:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
If you don't yet have it, get yourself to a bike shop and buy (yes, with real money ;) ) the SPOKES cycle map of Edinburgh ... and West and East Lothians too if you are feeling flush :biggrin:. There are a number of routes there, complete with those which have cobbles on the road (very Paris-Roubaix :smile:).

For something a bit longer, you could consider doing the cycle path to Cramond, on to S Queensferry, over the FRB ... but those are probably slightly longer, more day rides.

Whereabouts in the city are you and which uni/campus ? What bike ?

HJ and Telemark live near the Meadows and know the escape routes pretty well ! I'm sure they'll be here soon with advice.

You will be made very welcome on the CC Ecosse Forum Ride this Saturday, starting from Inverkeithing - and you do not need to worry about being left behind. NO ONE gets left behind on these rides ;).

aberal

Veteran
+1 for the route maps. The old railway line paths will take you all over Edinburgh - its how I got to know the town when I first moved here.

Try the canal tow path, starting at Fountainbridge and....either cycle all the way out to Linlithgow or Falkirk or Glasgow, or more realistically branch off and follow the old Water of Leith railway line all the way out to Balerno. Either head back or, depending on your bike, head through the Pentlands to the Biggar Road. The Landranger OS maps are good for that too. If its a road bike you have, I'd suggest building up the mileage a bit and heading out the coast to North Berwick. And take the train back.

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

Cheers Scoosh...had a look at some of the routes suggested on the 'Forum Ride' thread, would definitely be interested in getting involved in a few. Have a rowing regatta this Saturday so not available for that ride, but thanks anyway!

Cycle from Haymarket out to Heriot-Watt campus, it's a decent route, and pretty quick - sure beats sitting on the bus!

After using Sambu's bike for a while - when he was too lazy to use it :thumbsup: - I made a little investment with a Specialized Allez Sport Double, absolutely love it :biggrin:

gavintc

Guru
Eoin Rua said:
Cheers Scoosh...had a look at some of the routes suggested on the 'Forum Ride' thread, would definitely be interested in getting involved in a few. Have a rowing regatta this Saturday so not available for that ride, but thanks anyway!

Cycle from Haymarket out to Heriot-Watt campus, it's a decent route, and pretty quick - sure beats sitting on the bus!

After using Sambu's bike for a while - when he was too lazy to use it :thumbsup: - I made a little investment with a Specialized Allez Sport Double, absolutely love it :biggrin:

Ah, Haymarket - my flat is there. I hope my tenants are looking after it. :biggrin: I do miss Edinburgh. I see that the roadworks are being temporarily removed around Haymarket.

If you cycle out to Roseburn on the Glasgow road you will note a bridge over the main road. That bridge carries the cycle path. It will allow you traffic free (but not dog free) access to the west and north of the city.

If you are interested in getting into a club, the Edinburgh RC meets at the Commie Pool each Sun morning and has a range of rides from the beginner (doing about 12 mph) upwards to the race team. They usually manage about 100 riders split into 5-6 groups. The Sun ride is about 50 miles long and ends at a cafe in Marchmont.

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

gavintc said:
Ah, Haymarket - my flat is there. I hope my tenants are looking after it. :thumbsup: I do miss Edinburgh. I see that the roadworks are being temporarily removed around Haymarket.

Haymarket junction has opened right up now - it's actually weird going through it now without dodging all sorts of roadworks!

Cheers Gav, will definitely look into the option of a club - I'll be rowing quite a bit over the summer, but cycling as much as possible as well to keep the fitness up where it should be!

Sambu

you go so slowly though that the dodging wasnt really a problem for you was it?

MajorMantra

There's lots of great riding out in East Lothian and down in the Borders but you really have to be doing 25+ miles to get them best out of these bits. I'd strongly recommend joining a club - long distances will become easier quite quickly if you do. I rode with the Edinburgh University club a fair bit this year and now I'm mainly with ERC - the latter is a big club so there's plenty of potential for riding with groups that suit you.

MajorMantra said:
There's lots of great riding out in East Lothian and down in the Borders but you really have to be doing 25+ miles to get them best out of these bits.

Yip I'd agree with Matt there's some great riding just outside of Edinburgh: East & West Lothian, Fife and the Borders. The advantage of these (all but the last currently) they're served by rail which can be an option but I'm usually to tight to use it ;)

Telemark

Cycling is fun ...
A belated "welcome" from me too!
I see you have found tomorrow's CC Ecosse ride already :biggrin:

Hope to see you at Inverkeithing...

T

OP
OP
Eoin Rua

Eoin Rua

Just back from a pretty good cycle, about 25 miles in total - from Haymarket, out to Roslin (pot of tea in Bovril Johnstons!), then through Bonnyrigg, Dalkeith and back in by Gilmerton, rounded off with a nice stop in the Meadows :smile:

HJ - I'll get around to reading your blog later this evening, cheers!

I was at a sustainable travel conference today; The Bike Station was there, giving out free 'Edinburgh Travel Choices Map's'. It basically the same one Spokes charge for :laugh: If they're giving them out at the Causewayside shop, it may give ideas for routes in and around Edinburgh.

Top Bottom