Routing cable for rear mech

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm in the process of swapping components over from one frame to another for a turbo bike. I only run with a rear mech on the turbo, no front mech required. The frame I'm switching to had downtube shifters & there's no cable stop on the right hand side. Would the rear mech work fine with cable routed via left side of downtube & across to the right side at the BB, or would it be likely to cause shifting issues?
Gonna cost about a tenner for a new pair of down tube cable stops & I don't want to waste the money if it's not needed :okay:

midlife

Guru
Trying to picture that in my mind, which cable stop is missing?

midlife

Guru
Ah, you are using STI's, I thought you were using the downtube shifters :smile: can't see why it shouldn't work, the angle of the cable under the BB s shouldn't stop it working...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I assume you're using brifters in which case you can run the outer and inner all the way from the lever to the RD. I have this set up on my Specialized adventure bike. You'll need to secure with cable ties along the frame.

winjim

✊🏻✊🏾 🌈 😷
Some people route this way anyway, crossing cables under the downtube, the idea being that it gives a greater radius and reduces cable rub at the headtube.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish

Top Bottom