Routing cable for rear mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I'm in the process of swapping components over from one frame to another for a turbo bike. I only run with a rear mech on the turbo, no front mech required. The frame I'm switching to had downtube shifters & there's no cable stop on the right hand side. Would the rear mech work fine with cable routed via left side of downtube & across to the right side at the BB, or would it be likely to cause shifting issues?
Gonna cost about a tenner for a new pair of down tube cable stops & I don't want to waste the money if it's not needed :okay:

midlife

Guru
Trying to picture that in my mind, which cable stop is missing?

midlife

Guru
Ah, you are using STI's, I thought you were using the downtube shifters :smile: can't see why it shouldn't work, the angle of the cable under the BB s shouldn't stop it working...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I assume you're using brifters in which case you can run the outer and inner all the way from the lever to the RD. I have this set up on my Specialized adventure bike. You'll need to secure with cable ties along the frame.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Some people route this way anyway, crossing cables under the downtube, the idea being that it gives a greater radius and reduces cable rub at the headtube.

Kempstonian

Has the memory of a goldfish

mikeymustard

Veteran
Some people route this way anyway, crossing cables under the downtube, the idea being that it gives a greater radius and reduces cable rub at the headtube.
I did this on my Equilibrium, because it made it much tidier around the head tube

Top Bottom