Routing old gear levers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S-Express

Either you're doing it wrong, or the levers have parts missing. A pic would help.

Reactions: mjr

midlife

Guru
Sounds like a typical aero lever so not *that* old lol

Pics as suggested, there should be a cable stop in there.

Shaun

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Title says gears, body says brakes. What works and what doesn't?

But I'm pretty sure there should be a ferrule on the end of the outer which prevents it entering the lever housing. Might be some strange one with some sort of clamp but I'm not sure how it'd work.

Pics or part names/numbers, please!

midlife

Guru
Is it a Dia Compe lever? The cable goes in at the back of the lever body at the top and there is a stop inside the body just behind where the nipple goes in the lever When you pull the lever the cable can't travel forward with the lever.

Shaun

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The hole in the lever says Dia-compe to me. Shimano you can pit a ferrule (plastic, or better alloy) on the end and slot the outer into the lever body. Stick a torch inside and see if anything isn't overly worn out.

midlife

Guru
Looks like Dia Compe to me as well, there is a stop on the inside of the body that engages the ferrule on the end of the cable outer and holds it in place. From memory you have to thread the inner through it from the front and slide the outer down into the lever body. I assume it's a genuine aero lever and not home made!

Shaun

midlife

Guru
New ones are £12.99 :smile:

Sounds like something is amiss, mind you the last time I worked on them would have been 1981....

Shaun

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
[QUOTE 4674747, member: 45"]No, I have a bag full of those. These are bell shaped.[/QUOTE]
Any chance of a picture in case I (or another reader) meets those levers in the future, please?

raleighnut

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 4674662, member: 45"]The new levers arrived yesterday. They have exactly the same bore holes as the old ones. But there, right at the bottom of the bag, are a couple of oversize, domed ferrules.

Job done.[/QUOTE]
Are they like these,

61gZL%2BFl1pL._SX355_.jpg

Top Bottom