Rowing Machines

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zimzum42

Legendary Member
My trainer put me on one of these in the gym the other day as part of my ongoing physiotherapy.

Haven't been on one for years.

I did 500m in 2 minutes. Probably could have been quicker had I realised he was going to set me a target from the start (his target was 500m in 3 minutes, wasn't going for it for the first 30 seconds)

So, is this time/distance any good?

ACS

Legendary Member
I was once told 2000m in 8 minutes was an acceptable target for a non rower. I found it hard work with the resistance on the Concept 2 set to highest level.

I love rowing as a form of x-training but cannot affort the price of a decent concept rower.

Look on the concept2 website and look on the uk forum,its a mine of information,you can also log your metres rowed and get certificates and medals for certain milestones.1,3,5and10 million metres.At present I have 40k to go for 6million.The time taken for 2000 m very much depends on age and build the taller you are the faster you should row.I tend to concentrate on distance for cardio efficiency,and do between 60 and 90 minutes,approx 13500 to 20000,3 or 4 times a week.The lever on the side,graduated from 1 to 10 changes the drag factor,but the higher the number does not mean the harder you are working.Most keen rowers set the lever to 5 or 6 a drag factor off approx 130 for rowing at optimal speed,ie metres/second.

Losidan

valleyold boy said:
Look on the concept2 website and look on the uk forum,its a mine of information,you can also log your metres rowed and get certificates and medals for certain milestones.1,3,5and10 million metres.At present I have 40k to go for 6million.The time taken for 2000 m very much depends on age and build the taller you are the faster you should row.I tend to concentrate on distance for cardio efficiency,and do between 60 and 90 minutes,approx 13500 to 20000,3 or 4 times a week.The lever on the side,graduated from 1 to 10 changes the drag factor,but the higher the number does not mean the harder you are working.Most keen rowers set the lever to 5 or 6 a drag factor off approx 130 for rowing at optimal speed,ie metres/second.

i have been indoor rowing for a bit and getting well bored with it...I stumbled across that site and it has really breathed new life into indoor rowing for me...I dont have the concept 2, I have a york magair but even so the workouts still apply....Been doing some timed 2k's once a week to give me some extra motivation

zimzum42 said:
My trainer put me on one of these in the gym the other day as part of my ongoing physiotherapy.

Haven't been on one for years.

I did 500m in 2 minutes. Probably could have been quicker had I realised he was going to set me a target from the start (his target was 500m in 3 minutes, wasn't going for it for the first 30 seconds)

So, is this time/distance any good?

I always thought 1500m / 5 mins was the mark of a man, so you're not far off.

Ben M

When I am on a concept 2 I generally row at a pace of 2 min per 500 metres (according to the display) that pace is one that I find easy to maintain for some time, whilst getting a nice sweat on and getting the heart going.

I'm only 18, and I'm assuming that you've a fair few years on me (by you saying "Haven't been on one for years.) And that you aren't at 100% with you going through physiotherapy.

So rowing at 2 min per 500 metres is pretty good going I'd say.

spire

To the point
satans budgie said:
I was once told 2000m in 8 minutes was an acceptable target for a non rower. I found it hard work with the resistance on the Concept 2 set to highest level.

I love rowing as a form of x-training but cannot affort the price of a decent concept rower.

The high settings are almost never used.

The optimum level is usually between 3 and 6.

They are, in any case, only a rough guide. The 'Drag Factor' is the definitive number and this can be read off the monitor.

Top Bottom