Royal Mail Bike: Redux

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matt_Sheffield

And the ladies who ride them!

P1000917.JPG

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
We had found a supplier of complete philips rod brake sets in amazing condition, but unfortunately the sale fell through (they took our money, didnt send the parts, and when we asked what was happening they eventually gave us a refund saying the parts had not been sent, here's a refund!).

So to see if the parts that we already have can be done up by us, I have attempted to clean up some of the fixtures.

Today I bought some dremel attachment for my non-dremel rotary tool, and I have to say, with some elbow grease and some patience the bits look quite alot better. However, I am not looking forward to doing the rest as it has taken ages to do what I have.

So heres some pics. The first one is almost a before and after in one.

DSC01336.jpg

DSC01340.jpg

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
As it is Mrs WMB's birthday, she is now the proud owner of some Grand Bois Hetre tyres, which were promptly added to the bike:

DSC01360.jpg

Still some ongoing work with cleaning up the rods, although that is going quite well:

DSC01345.jpg

DSC01350.jpg

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
Those bits and pieces are coming up a treat - what are you going to do with them? Paint? Re chrome?
We are (I am anyway) going to polish them to as good a standard as possible. I have managed to get a pretty good reflective surface on the front stirrups after doing some reseach into metal polishing which has yielded some really rewarding results. It'll be an over winter project to get the metalwork of the brakes into good order, and we shouldn't need to replace any parts (fingers crossed)

Mrs w_m_b bought a really cool Brooks B67 last week and the bike looks very tasty now. It was a real head turner (literally) when we took it into town last weekend, and we even ended up in conversation about it with several passersby, which was nice, if unexpected.

tudor

I worked for a short while at the sorting facility in Stourton and they must have 2 dozen of these bikes there that just sit around. Some of them are in good condition. Wouldn't be a bad place to inquire if someone's keen on getting one.

OP
OP
wheres_my_beard

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
It's getting ever closer to being finished...

DSC01437.jpg

DSC01439.jpg

I've invested in some proper metal cutting/ polishing tools, which seem to be working a treat, so all the bare metal will eventually be nice and shiney.

Here's a photo of one of the chain tensioners after a good grind and buff. I was tempted to get these bits professionally polishedm but learning and doing it ourselves is so much more rewarding (and cheaper)

DSC01448.jpg

Top Bottom