Royal Mail letter deliveries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Our service was interesting when Covid started. Got some deliveries a week late and others the next day but now it seems to be daily for parcels and every other day for letters. Most of our junk mail was delivered by a private courier but this has mostly stopped since we put a little sticker on the door saying no junk mail. Still get the Royal Mail ones though!

@Badger_Boom and @cyberknight, hope your parcels turn up today or Monday.

Moon bunny

Judging your grammar.
Our service was interesting when Covid started. Got some deliveries a week late and others the next day but now it seems to be daily for parcels and every other day for letters. Most of our junk mail was delivered by a private courier but this has mostly stopped since we put a little sticker on the door saying no junk mail. Still get the Royal Mail ones though!
You should send this form to stop Royal Mail unaddressed mail:
https://personal.help.royalmail.com...leaflets-or-unaddressed-promotional-material?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I'm not disparaging the work of the posties, here, just, I guess, what they seem to have been instructed to do.
I receive nothing for most of the week, then everything at once.
Parcels and van work is fine.

jayonabike

Powered by caffeine & whisky
I'm not disparaging the work of the posties, here, just, I guess, what they seem to have been instructed to do.
I receive nothing for most of the week, then everything at once.
Parcels and van work is fine.
Probably because they have the maximum people allowed off on leave at any one time during the summer, plus sick leave, COVID leave and the fact it’s still busier than Christmas. Posties are knackered and even if the overtime is offered to cover the walks not going out many are by now saying bollox to it
I’m a Royal Mail driver. My lorry can hold 21 containers of mail. I had to try and get 26 worth into 21 on Thursday as the mail had to get out.
I started at 4.30 this morning, did 4 hrs overtime at the end of my shift. Just got in and as I was leaving my boss said could I do another run.Ive done overtime every day this week. My answer? No I’m knackered, going home, cracking open a beer and cook a steak

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
When I worked for RM, (1999,ish), it was a 9 hr 16 minute driving shift, plus docket, throwing bags, if I wanted it. That was before RM was privatised, though.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
When I worked as a postie, Christmas saw a 5.45am start, working through to 8pm for nearly 3 weeks. I seem to recall the taxman took a huge chunk.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
If the regular postie is on the round, I get post 3 or 4 times a week and at roughly the same time.*

If he's not about it drops to one or two bulk deliveries a week at any time up to 5pm.

* there hasn't been a Saturday delivery here in months.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
How does the 2nd class post thing work?
They go from the same post box, in the same van, to the same sorting office. Do they just put them in a separate pile and wait a bit?
Pretty much as I recall.

Local main post offices used to have big brass postboxes built into the wall with National and Local above the slots. I recall being sent to collect the mail and discovering everything dropped into the one cardboard box behind.

When there used to be second deliveries, you only took second class mail out with the first delivery. Quite often I was going out to do a second delivery with less than 40 letters.

Pretty much as I recall.

Local main post offices used to have big brass postboxes built into the wall with National and Local above the slots. I recall being sent to collect the mail and discovering everything dropped into the one cardboard box behind.

When there used to be second deliveries, you only took second class mail out with the first delivery. Quite often I was going out to do a second delivery with less than 40 letters.

That's kind of what I expected. If they really did separate them, I could see it meaning the posty made two deliveries to the same houses, which doesn't make much sense.

jayonabike