Rubbing/grinding at speed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Adam4868

Guru
Put some wheels on my bike (mavic kysium) and descending at speed 30 ish mph it feels almost like brakes rubbing on rims,loud noise aswell.Ive let the brakes right off and tried it but the same.Any ideas what it could be ?
Tried in workstand and seems fine,cant replicate the noise.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Weird. If rim is running true then even at slow speed no noise. Can you spin the wheels fast and see if replicated ? Other option is faulty freehub ?

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Is this when pedalling, coasting or all the time?

Do the rims sit central in the chain stays? Have you used new tyres which may have molding sprues/hairs on them and could be brushing brakes or frame when at speed?

How do the hubs feel when the wheels are removed from the bike?

It sounds like the ‘Mavic growl’. It’s a typical issue with Mavic wheels. If they are brand new, it’s a warranty replacement job, if not, ( if you bought them second hand etc.) if it is the growl. the freehub is toast I’m afraid. You can re free hub them or get completely new wheels .

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Yea there not new,I think it's the hub !

boydj

Legendary Member
It sounds like the ‘Mavic growl’. It’s a typical issue with Mavic wheels. If they are brand new, it’s a warranty replacement job, if not, ( if you bought them second hand etc.) if it is the growl. the freehub is toast I’m afraid. You can re free hub them or get completely new wheels .

Not necessarily toast. I had the same with my Aksiums. Try lying the wheel flat and dribble some very light oil or GT85 onto the freehub and leave it to make its way inside for a while. This might be enough to soften the dried-up grease inside the hub and quieten things down a bit. It worked for me and 3 years later the wheels are still going strong on occasional outings.

OP
OP
Adam4868

Adam4868

Guru
Quick update for anyone who has "the Mavic squeel " Took bike to mechanic who promptly cleaned and re greased hub,good as new !
Great bike mechanic for anyone in the Fylde area,nothing is too much trouble.
Colin Gardner ( the bike magician) Kirkham.

iluvmybike

Über Member
This is exactly the same problem we just had and we replaced the bearings and it seemed ok for one short ride. However, it started again during a 75 mile ride. We had to replace the freehub body. Instead of a normal cartridge bearing on the inner side there is a plastic bushing which cannot be obtained to replace it - over time this wears away and allows the freehub to rock which causes the outer bearing to start to wear & then you get the clanking, grating, screeching. It happens on these wheels. A new freehub body is about £45 and is easy enough to fit. There is a company in USA which makes a freehub body to fit which has a bearing instead of this plastic bushing.

Top Bottom