Rudge fork lock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello everyone, I’ve got a 1950s Rudge ladies bike. It has a fork lock (fortunately open) but no key. I’ve read about getting a key cut using the number on the lock but there are no numbers or other markings. Is it possible to get a key in any other way, like removing the lock and replacing it? I would really like to have the lock working. Any thoughts welcome, thank you in advance. 596653

OP
OP
S

Squiggle11

Also need that little D shaped bit on the chain guard….

tyred

Legendary Member
On a Raleigh, the number can be on either the front or back of the lock so you might need to remove it.

Not sure how you do that on a Rudge as the fork crown is a different design. My Rudge doesn't have a lock.

Good luck finding the missing piece of the chain case but I think if you could borrow one from a similar bike you could re-create it using basic metalworking tools and a bit of patience.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The factory managed to install the thing, which means the owner will be able to remove it again if necessary. There is nothing fancy about these sort of locks, they are just basic ride-off theft deterrents. About the same level of security as an office filing cabinet, which means just deterring casual nosey parkers.

Some small shoe repairer/ key cutters have bunches of keys which they sometimes use . It will probably be a single edge key like they used on cars in the 60's.

Top Bottom