Rudge Pathfinder hybrid geared tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

porteous

Veteran
Finished! Some years ago I bought a late 60s Pathfinder Mk III frame from a well respected member here. For ages I have been trying to decide exactly what to do with it until now. Over the last two months, I have finally rebuilt it as a 9 speed hybrid geared tourer, with a NOS 3 Speed AW hub mated to a 3 Speed derailleur block. I am well pleased with the result> Everything seems to work although I have not yet been able to try it on the road.

Pics below!

8470885346_506a878ff5.jpg
hybrid gear Rudge 004 by CraigWales, on Flickr

8469810157_74e5e5d796.jpg
hybrid gear Rudge 006 by CraigWales, on Flickr

8469793705_dc0bc6afc5.jpg
hybrid gear Rudge 003 by CraigWales, on Flickr

Now all I need is a nice carradice saddle bag!

tyred

Legendary Member
Beautiful. I love the colour scheme.

How does the Hybrid gearing work in practice?

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Not had it out yet, but I will let you know. Gearing is 46/16 46/19 46/22 as against the normal SA 46/18 for a 27" wheel. That should give me three gears a little lower then the AW ones, and six a bit higher. I am looking forward to having a higher top and a couple more lower range for hills!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Very nice indeed! But it looks like the clothes peg that holds the piece of card in the front wheel spokes has fallen off. Just thought I'd mention before you take it on the road.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Took it out today to test run. Gears work beautifully. I will take a while to find my way round the ratios, but the three gears in the mid range, rather than one, the extra low gear for hills and the new V high top gear will certainly come in useful.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Brings back memories. My very first bike was a secondhand Rudge................about 40 odd years ago!

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Absolutely lovely bike, but clip those mudguard stays before you catch em and curse em. Also how did you mount the block on the Sturmey? because it is a sublime idea.

Pre 51 SA hubs had threaded drivers which take a screw on block. Cyclo made 2 and 3 cog blocks for the later SU bayonet driver, I believe, but they are like hens teeth. I got three old hubs of fleabay for £10, having noticed one had a pre 51 driver, and mated it up with a longer axle on a NOS AW hub.

I had never considered touching SA hubs, but it was actually surprisingly easy. (There are some very good guides on the net including some excellent YouTube stuff and, of course, Sheldon). The ONLY thing that is critical (As far as I can see) is setting up the axle position after reasembly, otherwise the wriggly bits inside don't mesh. If I can do it anyone can do it.

I love the ticking sound from the pawls when freewheeling!

Does the dog ride in the basket?

The stays are one of those round tuit jobs.

thegravestoneman

three wheels on my wagon

I do a lot of old tracks and the like on the butchers bike, and he stops on the ground but for all the road work he stands in the basket catching the breeze.
I always liked the way you can change gear stood still with a SA so you can get away with stopping in the wrong gear, and have one on the Butchers. I have seen SAs with the two cogs on one dished the other straight, but I really like what you have done. I will have to do a bit of ebaying and see what I can do

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran

I do a lot of old tracks and the like on the butchers bike, and he stops on the ground but for all the road work he stands in the basket catching the breeze.
I always liked the way you can change gear stood still with a SA so you can get away with stopping in the wrong gear, and have one on the Butchers. I have seen SAs with the two cogs on one dished the other straight, but I really like what you have done. I will have to do a bit of ebaying and see what I can do

One of the advantages of the set up I have is being able to change the SA standing still. Good Luck; Let us know how you get on.

Top Bottom