Rudge Pathfinder hybrid geared tourer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raindog

er.....
Looks good enough to eat

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
8554245661_e03d01927b_b.jpg
PICT0002 by CraigWales, on Flickr

It has taken a while, but today I took this Pathfinder out for a 6 mile proving ride. All it needed was a minor rear mech adjustment and the ride was really pleasurable. I had expected the hybrid Derailleur/SA arrangement to take some getting used to, but it was really easy and almost intuitive. I really like being able to select SA low while stationary, and the extra flexibility at the top and bottom of the gear range is really useful on the move.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
glad to hear all ok and you enjoyed it as well

Sterba

Über Member
I can't see the SA gear lever in the pics. What is the width between the frame ends? I wanted an extra low set of ratios on my 3 speed SA, bayonet-fit, and found that a cog from an old-fashioned cluster will fit the SA spline precisely, so I fitted a big one, easier than messing with the chainwheel.

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
I can't see the SA gear lever in the pics. What is the width between the frame ends? I wanted an extra low set of ratios on my 3 speed SA, bayonet-fit, and found that a cog from an old-fashioned cluster will fit the SA spline precisely, so I fitted a big one, easier than messing with the chainwheel.

I changed the SA axle for a 6" one (I think) and it fitted between the dropouts with a bit of a shove. There is about 5mm clearance between the smallest cog to the frame. The SA trigger (also NOS) is just below the right brake lever and about 45 degrees further round. Works just fine.

I've trimmed the mudguard stays tight and fitted a NOS reflector (from Thailand!!?) so she's now finally finished. Done about 30 miles so far, and the only minor problem was a dodgy cotter pin which worked loose, now replaced with a good one.

8554241017_2a0264e91d_c.jpg
PICT0004 by CraigWales, on Flickr

OP
OP
porteous

porteous

Veteran
Well the bike has been tucked up in store for the last couple of years but time to get her out and used again. As a starter I have finally fitted a double chain wheel, ( a nice period SR drillium giving 18 gears in theory.) Working out the change sequence should be interesting, to say the least. Photos to follow.

Top Bottom