Rugby League Players - hard, aren't they?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Raging Squirrel

i had my ear cut off with a stanley knife in a club and I just wanted to keep on clubbing.....the bouncers literally dragged me downstairs to call an ambulance lol

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I bet there are a lot of footballers reading that thinking, "Do you know, we really are just a bunch of hyped-up over-paid tossers, aren't we?"

martint235

Dog on a bike
It alway seems a paradox to me that rugby is a violent sport where the spectators are generally well-behaved, yet football is not seen as a violent sport, but the spectators (or a section of them) have a reputation for violence.
Hence the old saying "Football: a game played by gentlemen, watched by hooligans. Rugby: a game played by hooligans, watched by gentlemen".

Obviously it needs updating to start "Football: a game played by over-paid, useless, money-grabbing prima donnas who are a disgrace to the civilised world, watched by posh people eating prawn sandwiches". The rugby bit is still more or less true.

From what I saw of it, it was a great game. I'm from RL country but now tend to watch RU. RL players are completely nuts :whistle:

i had my ear cut off with a stanley knife in a club and I just wanted to keep on clubbing.....the bouncers literally dragged me downstairs to call an ambulance lol

cool_pictures_crazy_fun_images_the-worst-trophies01.jpg

subaqua

What’s the point
Hence the old saying "Football: a game played by gentlemen, watched by hooligans. Rugby: a game played by hooligans, watched by gentlemen".

Obviously it needs updating to start "Football: a game played by over-paid, useless, money-grabbing prima donnas who are a disgrace to the civilised world, watched by posh people eating prawn sandwiches". The rugby bit is still more or less true.

From what I saw of it, it was a great game. I'm from RL country but now tend to watch RU. RL ALL RUGBY players are completely nuts :whistle:

would be a more accurate description :smile:

Cubist

Still wavin'
google Buck Shelford who had his scrotum stitched pitchside ( televised) then returned to the foray in the infamous Battle of Nantes, All Blacks v France 1986.

Panter

Just call me Chris...
google Buck Shelford who had his scrotum stitched pitchside ( televised) then returned to the foray in the infamous Battle of Nantes, All Blacks v France 1986.

From Wiki:

"Shelford made his Test debut for the All Blacks later that year against France in a 19–7 victory in Toulouse, and then was a notable victim of the infamous "Battle of Nantes" in the second Test. Roughly 20 minutes into the match, he was caught at the bottom of a rather aggressive ruck, and an errant French boot found its way into Shelford's groin, somehow ripping his scrotumand leaving one testicle hanging free. He also lost four teeth in the process. Incredibly, after discovering the injury to his scrotum, he calmly asked the physio to stitch up the tear and returned to the field before a blow to his head left him concussed. He was substituted and watched the remainder of the game from the grandstand where he witnessed the All Blacks lose 16–3. To this day Shelford has no memory of the game.[2]"

Sweet Jesus... :eek:

Raging Squirrel

Picture........ or it didn't happen!

Wish i did have photos because a lot of people look at me like Im bullshitting them. I do have the scars to prove it though

Might try and contact the max factor unit unit in Fazakerly hospital to see if they still have them on record

Can we accept that football and rugby injuries are different? The few footballers poncing about that appear on TV do a disservice to the thousands of others that play and love the game.

Ruby involves a lot of upper body contact. I have one ear at a slightly different height to the other due to this.
Football is lower body. Anyone want to put their weight on one leg, anchored firmly with studs, whilst being slid into on it? Joints there don't take kindly to it.

Different sports. We seem to be able to accept MTB and road cycling are different. I can't remember this type of debate on them here, why can't we do it with rugby/football?

Top Bottom