rules for cyclists on dual carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steady

Über Member
I drive too (as most of us do) - personally, I'd have stayed behind (given the situation you've described), and that's the course of action I'd recommend (again, based on what you're described).

As would I have, eased off the speed as soon as the cyclist was spotted and control the situation with speed or lack of speed and coast up behind the cyclist, and thereby minimising angry drivers because I imagine sharp braking produced the upset behind when the under-take wasn't possible.

albion

Guru
Well, if I was inadvertently stuck in that lane I mentioned, the outside is likely the safer option !
People move from outside to inside at 60mph +, plus there is no safe way back to lane 2 at the filter

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

Like I said thanks for the comments. It really is easy to make assumptions based on one person's view and descriptions without local knowledge of a particular road so I appreciate not receiving too much hate :-)

At the time when I was about to pass the cyclist, it was clear to undertake but within a split second it all changed. NO HUMAN BEING CAN GO THROUGH THEIR ENTIRE LIFE WITHOUT MAKING A MISTAKE ahem Glasgowcyclist (i'm not picking on you by the way :-) ) I held my hands up with the initial post "what did I do wrong?" In hindsight I should have held off for like a few miles if needs be. I have been driving a fair few years now including escape and manoeuvre in the far east and I drive with my current job. I like to think that i'm a fairly decent/safe driver. I was just interested to learn as this is what life is all about. I have very rarely seen a cyclist on the right hand side of the right hand lane of a dual carriageway. If I have it obviously hasn't been a problem in the past.

I was not speeding, I was on my way to dropping my 3 year old son to nursery before heading off to work. I was way under the 40 mph speed limit. Perhaps that's why the car on my left appeared from nowhere. Like I said it's a very busy road and their are some real maniacs about. I'm glad I didn't carry on trying to pass the cyclist after my error of judgement as someone could have been hurt.

Personally I think it's mad to cycle like that on this type of road until you reach the roundabout, but each to their own.

As for the, cyclist = traffic. I know :-) I witness cyclists who fail to dismount at pedestrian crossings all the time ;-)

I need to get to the countryside, living/driving in the towns is far too stressful and impatient. Planning authorities have a lot to answer when it comes to some of these road layouts too.

thanks again anyway

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

I forgot to add that the cyclist stopped halfway on the carriageway before the roundabout, to use the pedestrian crossing to cross over to the industrial estate where he must work!

Leodis

Veteran
[QUOTE 3149844, member: 30090"]You honestly think that the cyclists position as described the OP is sound?[/QUOTE]

I use a similar position on my way to work for roughly the same, it is far safer than to cross three lanes of moving traffic, I take the usual distance from the curb as I would on the left, if I took a strong position then it was cause issues behind me. I also have to move back across moving traffic on the way home on the same stretch, I feel a lot safer on the way to work than returning. So I think the cyclist from what I can gather was correct and the driver should have undertaken said cyclist if the left lane was clear.

Last edited by a moderator:

albion

Guru
[QUOTE 3149844, member: 30090"]You honestly think that the cyclists position as described the OP is sound?
[/QUOTE]

Possibly yes, if it is one of those roads that are safer just to avoid full stop. Like I said, the middle can be too dangerous and getting back across an impossibility.

Last edited by a moderator:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
[QUOTE 3149860, member: 30090"]No the cyclist was not correct and neither are you.
People who lack the confidence and ability to ride, shoulder check and signal on major roads should find another route rather than needlessly hold up other road users.
You may think I'm harsh, you may think I'm a tit, you may think I'm being unfairly biased to car drivers. But the only thing that really matters is I have a point and that I'm right.[/QUOTE]

I could be being mislead, you're suggesting they should use the pavement, right?

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

http://www.instantstreetview.com/2nrv94z3dn6jkz36szmxz2u
Could you post a street view of the location? It would help a lot in understanding what happened.

GC

Leodis

Veteran
[QUOTE 3149860, member: 30090"]No the cyclist was not correct and neither are you.

People who lack the confidence and ability to ride, shoulder check and signal on major roads should find another route rather than needlessly hold up other road users.

You may think I'm harsh, you may think I'm a tit, you may think I'm being unfairly biased to car drivers. But the only thing that really matters is I have a point and that I'm right.[/QUOTE]

lol I was right first time, you are a tit. Words cannot express how wrong you just are.

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

I came off this roundabout heading towards A348 cyclist came off at pedestrian crossing nearest to next roundabout. The cyclist was in the right hand lane from when I got off the initial roundabout all the way down to the crossing.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 3149885, member: 30090"]Utter rubbish. You saying that movingfrom lane to lane on a DC is impossible?[/QUOTE]

well it's not a nice manouevre on a busy road even if you are a pretty confident cyclist. I'd be getting into the correct lane well in good time and certainly not moving to left lane if i intended turning right any time soon. I commute daily on 40mph dual carriageway - and getting into correct lane early is crucial for safe progress.
Your stance does come over a Clarksonesque it has to be said.

GrasB

Veteran
[QUOTE 3149885, member: 30090"]Utter rubbish. You saying that movingfrom lane to lane on a DC is impossible?[/QUOTE]
If the car speed is too high yes & all it needs is close cars at +5mph over the cyclists speed & it becomes dangerous for you to cross TWO streams of traffic.

If you can get in the lane earlier it's much safer for the rider & also over short distances like 300 yards then you're talking about insignificant time differences.

Top Bottom