rules for cyclists on dual carriageways

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I forgot to add that the cyclist stopped halfway on the carriageway before the roundabout, to use the pedestrian crossing to cross over to the industrial estate where he must work!

That does change perspective, if I was heading to a crossing then I'd do it on the left hand side of the road, and activate the crossing to cross (I'd probably even get off the cycle, but lets not go crazy here!) I wouldn't cycle on the right hand side of the road to get to the crossing. I'm presuming it crossed both lanes with a refuge in the middle.

On a general note, the perception of how the road works differs hugely depending on what sort of vehicle you are operating. Gaps that look impossible in a car seem trivial on a motorbike, options that seem stupid on a motorbike might be sensible when you are on a bicycle. It's tough getting in to the mindset of the other road users if they are using methods you're not familiar with.

When it comes to cycling I am aware that there is a lot on the road that has the potential do to me harm, so my first priority is that I remain safe (to be fair, that I remain safe in a way that isn't going to put anyone else at risk of harm) I will assess the situation ahead of me with that in mind and take decisions based on that. It's probably worth presuming that other cyclists you see are doing similar.

Although as I say, if the guy was just making his life 'easier' for crossing the road then it doesn't sound like the decision I'd have taken for my personal safety.

albion

Guru
I have that too. Sometimes a roundabout is too intense so a pedestrian option comes into being.

However I recall a north east commuter cyclist getting killed when walking his bike across a road. My possible wrong thought thought there was that he simply forgot the traffic system and did not look !

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

yes there is a refuge in the middle. I have no idea what he was thinking but he obviously didn't want to go round the roundabout to come back to where he needed to get to. Sorry vital info I left out there. I saw him cross riding his bike, when I finally passed him, and went round the roundabout and turned into Elliot road. I don't think I was totally to blame other than misjudged the situation and I should have stayed well clear whether he is in best position on the road or not. Perhaps I did well not to kill the cyclist. I still think he was out of order to hurl abuse and to cut out a roundabout and cycle through half a pedestrian crossing just to shorten his journey to work.

The car to my left should have been more aware and considerate, the car behind should have seen what was going on and stayed back and been more considerate,not abusive. Basically everyone should be more patient, less abusive and look out for each other but courtesy on the roads seems to be a thing of the past or at least it's getting worse. Maybe i'm just getting older.

Oh well no harm done and no one hurt and I've learnt something today. Basically a success all round then!

:-)

albion

Guru
.. I still think he was out of order to hurl abuse and to cut out a roundabout and cycle through half a pedestrian crossing just to shorten his journey to work.
..Maybe i'm just getting older.Oh well no harm done and no one hurt and I've learnt something today. Basically a success all round then!:-)

Well I do it for safety reasons, its rare but it happens. And I sometimes avoid many cycle lanes for safety reasons too.

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

I have that too. Sometimes a roundabout is too intense so a pedestrian option comes into being.

However I recall a north east commuter cyclist getting killed when walking his bike across a road. My possible wrong thought thought there was that he simply forgot the traffic system and did not look !
This is off topic a little I guess but I was talking about this recently with my work colleagues Of course it is an offence not to stop at pedestrian crossings and traffic lights etc but so many people I mean a ridiculous amount of idiots look at the lights and as soon as the yturn red they just cross without looking to see if the oncoming traffic has halted. I see it everyday! Kid,s adults, cyclists. it's crazy!

OP
OP
F

fitzyafcb

Well I do it for safety reasons, its rare but it happens. And I sometimes avoid many cycle lanes for safety reasons too.

You hurl abuse for safety reasons? ^_^or stop midway down the centre of a dual carriageway to enter a refuge of a pedestrian crossing? I'm sure you would dismount before crossing though right? :tongue:

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K

Not what I had in my head. Don't know about the earlier crossing, I presume you were driving towards the BP, but the crossing by the roundabout itself is a Toucan (you can actually clearly see the bikes crossing it along with the green cycle light in one of the shots) and all of the pavements around it are showing cycle lane signs (which you mentioned in the OP) I'd expected it to be a lot more open from the original description, but that's a perception issue.

My take on this would be that it would all depend on the traffic conditions. You mention doing sub 40mph which suggests it wasn't slow traffic (sub 10mph) in which case I think I'd probably have gone for a bit of cycle lane and then using the Toucan to cross rather than crossing traffic and jumping off in the middle. Merely because the method the cyclist used is weirder and more likely to end up with drivers doing odd things (as happened). In heavier traffic I'd probably be tempted to do something similar to what they did, and use the traffic as a 'shield' to get to the middle of the road for the crossing and save some time.

If I'd been driving in a similar situation to you I'd have dropped back rather than going for the overtake and would be mentally calling the cyclist a twonk for putting themselves in that position just to shave a few seconds off of their ride. Once you are leaving the road anyway, I don't see much point in not doing it in the most sensible way. One of my commutes has similar options to consider, part of the reason I wouldn't pick the one they did is that to leave the road on the right at the crossing means almost stopping and turning the bike while you are on a piece of road that cars, which are likely to be moving at speed, aren't expecting that kind of manoeuvre on.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Kid's adults, cyclists. it's crazy!

The number of accidents I don't see on the roads, considering the driving that is going on at the time, is just proof that you can do a lot of stupid before you get punished for it. Unfortunately it seems to be some people (with all forms of transport from feet to artics) figure if the accident didn't happen, they must have been doing the right thing and can do it again.

U

User6179

I always thought that if you are overtaking on a 2 lane dual carriageway you should use the other lane , cant believe people think the cyclists position is acceptable .

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
....Of course it is an offence not to stop at pedestrian crossings and traffic lights etc but so many people I mean a ridiculous amount of idiots look at the lights and as soon as the yturn red they just cross without looking to see if the oncoming traffic has halted. I see it everyday! Kid,s adults, cyclists. it's crazy!

They're not idiots, they just have a bit too much faith that people will do what they're supposed to - one of the things traffic law should do is provide a framework of predictable behaviours for everyone on the road.

Riding and driving in Manchester has taught me that the traffic stops and goes without much reference to signals at times, and as a result, I've drummed into my nippers to check the traffic even when the crossing lights are green for them.

When they start to drive, I'll be reminding them that green means "Go if it is clear" too.

Leodis

Veteran
I always thought that if you are overtaking on a 2 lane dual carriageway you should use the other lane , cant believe people think the cyclists position is acceptable .

What so the cyclist has to cross two lanes of fast moving traffic? Not all cyclists want to use a path and push their bikes across at lights.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I came off this roundabout heading towards A348 cyclist came off at pedestrian crossing nearest to next roundabout. The cyclist was in the right hand lane from when I got off the initial roundabout all the way down to the crossing.

Fitzyafcb I admire you for trying to turn this into a learning experience rather than a tribal hate issue that is more common.

If I am turning right at a RAB I will be in the right hand lane early enough to ensure I dont get blocked by traffic and dominate the center of that lane until clear of the RAB.

Sorry if this delays other road users but my life is more important than a few seconds of a strangers life.

It is possible that the near miss caused the cyclist to lose confidence and get off the road at the first opportunity , its also possible the cyclist is just an inconsiderate idiot. difficult to know from the info provided but noone was hurt so lets all be tolerant of others mistakes and patient around slower more vulnerable road users.

U

User6179

What so the cyclist has to cross two lanes of fast moving traffic? Not all cyclists want to use a path and push their bikes across at lights.

If you go into the right hand lane then sit in the middle of the lane , if you go next to the kerb then you will get close passes .

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
[QUOTE 3149889, member: 30090"]Either that or find another route if you cannot ride on the road in a responsible manner.[/QUOTE]
You're young and nimble on your bike now: age will happen to you too, they will beep you off the roads because you'll be deemed not fast enough :tongue:

Top Bottom