Run in with a motorist this morning

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was coming through a short residential street between a T-junction and a roundabout when I heard the revs increase from the car behind. I couldn't believe he was going to overtake as it was only 30-40 yards to the roundabout and there was a car coming the other way. So I hit the brakes and pulled in to the kerb and then shouted "just f****** wait!". I got to the roundabout and the guy was stopped so I gave him a look of despair and a "why not just wait a couple of seconds". At which point he followed me as I turned left. He pulled up beside me, wound down his window and starting shouting and swearing. I replied "You nearly knocked me off my bike!" at which point he indicated that he would like to get out and have a chat about it. I went round the car as he pulled up in front of me opening the door at which point he shouted "Pussy!" so I stopped, thinking really that if he was going to drive in to me, I would rather be doing 0mph than a bit more than that. He pulled up beside me and was having a right old scream and quite honestly, looked like he was a)more than capable of and b) quite up for battering me for questioning his judgement. After he screamed about having no intention of knocking me off my bike and that I had "gobbed him off for no f****** reason" I thought the best course of action was to placate him so I said "sorry." At which point he stared at me and drove off (having to go right round the next roundabout because he had deviated from his original journey to question me*).
Two things: I feel ashamed to have apologised as I had a) done nothing wrong and b) been put in danger but self-preservation kicked in and I didn't fancy a fight. Secondly: Would explaining that I am on a bike and having been narrowly missed, my adrenaline was up and from the safety of his car, me screaming at him may seem a little of an over-reaction and that maybe he should try being on a bike and nearly having his elbow skin shaved off, have acheived anything?

* I do like the irony that someone is in such a hurry to get where they're going that they will make a dangerous overtake yet they have time to start a fight. (Although I suspect pointing that out to him would have resulted in me writing this from a hospital bed!)

PpPete

Legendary Member
Would explaining that I am on a bike and having been narrowly missed, my adrenaline was up and from the safety of his car, me screaming at him may seem a little of an over-reaction and that maybe he should try being on a bike and nearly having his elbow skin shaved off, have acheived anything?

No
Well maybe if you explain it with a baseball bat !

Crankarm

Guru
Pride before a fall.

On a bike you are extremely vulnerable even before maniacs and nutters are out of their cars trying to assault you. As has been said try and remember registrations and any other details for identification. A head cam / camera is even better. Stay calm and don't enter into confrontation as you will likely come off worse or worse still your bike will get damaged.

OP
OP
G
There is no helping some people. It's not worth the hassle although that being said some people need telling. In the future just leave it unless you honestly feel threatened, in which case report it to the police.
Good point. I suppose there's no point riding defensively yet confidently and then having some eejit reshape your face because you don't appreciate the way he drove.

OP
OP
G
No need to feel ashamed about apologising, in the circumstances it was probably the best strategy. A "Sorry" either spoken or gestured is often the best way to diffuse a potentially hostile situation, even if you know you're in the right.

Better to swallow your pride than your teeth.

True. He may think he's "won" but you never know, he might be thinking "perhaps I over-reacted a bit"

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
No shame in apologising. But some shame in ranting at a driver and putting yourself at risk of recourse. As I tend to repeat in these situations, NEVER start something you are not totally confident you can finish.

next time perhaps take primary, hold the driver back until the obstacle has passed and thank them for their patience having held them up with a confident thumbs up..

or just brush it off and don't let it get to you.

as a last resort, my ride buddy now shouts "Racist" at offending drivers...he's whiter than I am and it confuses the hell out of them.

Safe riding Gretzky...Oh and welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
G
next time perhaps take primary, hold the driver back until the obstacle has passed and thank them for their patience having held them up with a confident thumbs up..

Safe riding Gretzky...Oh and welcome to the forum.
I generally do that, but he gave me no choice. He just overtook then realised there was a car coming the other way. If I'd stayed primary he would have sent me flying. I always take primary where you get those stupid pedestrian refuges in the middle of the road and some people think there's enough space to get between bike and refuge.

I think I will take more of the "stay safe and just ignore everyone else in future though."

Thanks for the welcome. Seems a much happier place than Bike Radar to be honest.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I generally do that, but he gave me no choice. He just overtook then realised there was a car coming the other way. If I'd stayed primary he would have sent me flying. I always take primary where you get those stupid pedestrian refuges in the middle of the road and some people think there's enough space to get between bike and refuge.

I think I will take more of the "stay safe and just ignore everyone else in future though."

Thanks for the welcome. Seems a much happier place than Bike Radar to be honest.

then it sounds as if you do (and did) all you could.

the guy was a nobber and would be no matter what form of transport he chose to use. Take solace in the thought that he is one in a thousand (perhaps a million). Most folk just want to get to work in one piece, just like you.

Brush it off I say.

If it helps (and this bit's a little bit zen) next time you feel you need to lash out imagine how you look to that old fella walking his spaniel down the pavement.

If I feel truly threatened I am pretty happy that I can take care of myself and will not hesitate in kicking off...but for the most part I just worry I'll look like a complete tool.

akb

Veteran
It happens. There is a mini roundabout just before my turning to my road; no matter my position on the road or my hand singles, people still try and overtake whilst Im trying to turn off and whilst im passing through the RAB. There are impatient drivers out there. As long as you cycle assertively and do everything correctly, dont worry about it. Enjoy your cycling, whilst the impatient car drivers are getting fat in their cars.

OP
OP
G
Thanks everyone. I think I just needed to get that off my chest as I was embarrassed that I'd backed down and slightly annoyed that I had sort of started it. I used to just accept that there are idiots around and move on, but when you get 2 or 3 genuine stupid things happen a week, it starts to annoy me and eventually I snap. I guess I just snapped at the wrong guy this morning. I will try to be more zen-like in future.:smile:

Top Bottom