Running a B and B in UK for cyclists walkers mainly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I would try and appeal to motorist as they are not so tight with money. I can imagine somebody in a Jag happy to pay £95+ a night but a cyclist, hmmm!

Hang on, us cyclist's aren't stingy buggers, come one, we don't have just one bike ! £95 for a night is cheap.

Really enjoyed our stay in Llanberris at a 'walkers' self catering property. Communal lounge, kitchen and dining area, but lovely bedrooms - sort of a B&B without the "&B". Was well geared up for walkers, near a local Spar, great walking from the door, but the only thing was the drying room as I mentioned. Wasn't up to getting 10 folk's sopping gear dry. I'd have put some big fans like us 'zwifters' use in there - you don't so much need heat, but air flow.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
Stay in a few not just bike and walking ones. See what they do and how it works remember just because you do or don't like something others may do. Watch a few programs like hotel inspector and 4 in a bed to get ideas , what others think and pick up ideas. When Staying anyway it's often the little touchers that people remember and make you stand out.
One thing if your doing the outdoor leisure market many will have dogs so you need to dog friendly. Many who are from our experience allow them but are not exactly overly welcoming towards them. You remember placers who do treat them just as good as you.
The main thing is two things have to right the B and B. Get the breakfast right and get a name for going it well and that will get you known more than anything else. Above all remember image is everything and SM matters and you need to use it and do it well.

Sado-masochism?

Could attract a whole new clientele.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Cyclists, particularly the touring sort, are not usually big spenders.

I'd make a good effort at getting the basics right. Shower, bed, breakfast and possibly, evening meal. Small additions like covered bike parking will help.

That's one of the problems of staying at a B&B, you have to go out to eat every evening.

You see this as a problem. I see it as a challenge ! 😀

HelenD123

Guru
As well as a drying room, how about a clothes washing facility? Some people travel very light and do the wear one wash one thing.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know two couples and one (who has just sold) who are/were desperate to get out of the B&B business.

The hours are much longer than some people may think and even with room rates in the £100-£160 per night range you have to go some to make any real money at this unless you own the freehold of the property outright.

It can be a good business if you graft at it and are not financially encumbered and imo it is a younger persons game - depends how old you are when starting your retirement I guess.

We looked at a 10 bedroom B&B in Ambleside in 2008 (friends of ours) on the market at £880000 and whilst the annual numbers were not too bad the real money for the sellers was the increase in value of the freehold - they'd bought it for just over £400000 around 7 years prior. Most B&B prices have tumbled up here the last few years with many properties being very difficult to sell and being on the market 3/4/5 years etc. Not sure the 'good times' will be back for some time.

You also need to sell your soul, and a substantial amount of money, to the likes of booking.com to ensure that your occupancy rates are high.

Also, you need to budget to continually update the premises (expensive) as guest expectations are continually rising with many often expecting (not always getting which equals complaints) a boutique hotel with a permanently available member of staff on hand from a B&B.

Also, expect problems from some nationalities booking rooms for two and then trying to squeeze extra guests in on arrival.

Bit negative but if you take the leap I hope it goes well for you and please do have an exit plan that you can quickly enact if one or both of you get ill in old age. One of the friends mentioned above is in dire straits - her husband left her some time ago (affair with old girlfriend via FB) and she is 67 with several ailments that are making life very tough for her to operate (finding staff up here is a nightmare) and her premises have been on the market since early 2016. :sad:

Last edited:
Top Bottom