Running "inner" gear cable through Planet X EC130 frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

The plastic sleeve for the gear cable of the front derailleur on my Planet X EC 130 goes through the frame and comes out a small hole in front of the back wheel at the bottom of the seat tube. The problem is, there is a hole in this sleeve and I can't feed a new cable through as it butts up against the hole, and goes no further. I need to replace the sleeve, but don't know how to do this. I am concerned about it breaking, and then being unable to route a new one through. Any advice please, or maybe this is one for the bike shop. Cheers

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Never done it so this is just a suggestion.
If I'm reading you correctly the passage of the cable is stopped by the hole in the outer hidden in the frame. What about running a thin wire through and attaching the end by whatever means, soldering or even gluing and pulling it through?

U

User6179

The plastic sleeve for the gear cable of the front derailleur on my Planet X EC 130 goes through the frame and comes out a small hole in front of the back wheel at the bottom of the seat tube. The problem is, there is a hole in this sleeve and I can't feed a new cable through as it butts up against the hole, and goes no further. I need to replace the sleeve, but don't know how to do this. I am concerned about it breaking, and then being unable to route a new one through. Any advice please, or maybe this is one for the bike shop. Cheers

Could you access it from the BB, pull sleeve out through BB, push cable through to the BB then feed sleeve onto cable?

Internal cables are the devil's work. Will the cable feed through from the other direction? If so, insert the cable fully, remove the sleeve, insert a new sleeve using the cable as a guide, pull the cable out and reinstall it from the top.

Use the old cable to pull the new cable through. Push the old cable back enough to push the stoppered end in the brifter clear, then snip the stopper off of the exposed old cable at the brifter. Glue or braze the new cable onto the snipped end, and pull through from the mech end. As soon as the new one is through the frame, and the stopper on the new cable is seated in the brifter snip the new cable away from the old cable at the mech end, job jobbed.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks for your suggestions, they're really helpful. I can't do anything from the BB. Tried that. I came up with mickle's suggestion after sleeping on the problem. Think that might work. My local bike shop agreed to do it for £20, but I'd love to do it myself if poss. I agree, it just seems so needlessly difficult. I've only had this frame a year so don't really want to spend the rest of my life routing these things! Might have another go tomorrow if I receive the new sleeve I ordered!
Cheers

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
SOP for replacing internally-routed cables is to do the inner and outer separately. Feed the new inner through the old outer, then remove the outer and slide the new outer over the inner. I may be misunderstanding the exact situation here, though.

Doing internal cables on a bare frame can be a faff!

alicat

Legendary Member
The OP says there is a hole in the sleeve preventing him doing what you suggest. :whistle:

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

yes, that's the problem. because the outer is damaged, I can't route the inner through. I gonna leave this one to the bike shop. Cheers

Levo-Lon

Guru
There a pain.
I spent 2 hrs fitting a dropper post to a Specialized carbon frame. Forks out bb out and then a lot of messing to get it around the BB housing..

A guide wire may help as @Cycleops suggested..
There is a cable joiner too which screws into the new and old so you can draw the new one through.

Red17

Veteran
Sounds like a similar set up to my Giant. I bought a length of 2mm ID PTFE tube off eBay and ran this over the inner before pulling it out, then the just pulled the new cable through back through the tube

Top Bottom