Running tubeless tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
initial faff is a pain, I will probably invest in an air shot or similar to get the tyres to fit on the bead properly. Started running tubeless from about May this year, initially it was fine until I got a puncture that would not seal, then I got leaks round the tyre bead. Changed my sealant to Stan s race sealant and that seemed to work better. However it dries up fairly quickly I thought. Anyway it was fairly successful all summer and early autumn , started topping up more frequently as I got more and more punctures. It did seal up reasonably but not after spraying me in latex. Have now switched tyres and sealant to orange endurance stuff. It can be topped up through the valve which IMO is better as I don't like the idea of breaking the bead seal every time you want to top up.

Im determined to make it work but I have found it hard work initially however ride quality is much better I think, as you can run lower pressures .

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Went tubeless, five months ago, on my new tubeless compatible hybrid.

Very happy, several hundred miles later, no probs, no punctures so far.

And we do have very mucky / spikey lanes round where I live.

wonderloaf

Veteran
I knew there was a reason I went tubeless...whilst washing the bike today fund this bad boy in the back tyre:
1578143392161.png
1578143413657.png
1578143454751.png

Haven't washed the bike for a while so it could have been in there for a 3 or 4 rides, I didn't realise it was in there as the sealant had done it's job so efficiently there was no loss of pressure and no effect on ride quality. Needless to say when I extracted it I did lose a bit of sealant but the hole soon sealed up again and I was able to top the air up and an hour or so later still holding pressure.
Imagine that going into the front tyre while descending ... :eek:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I reckon the tight bead seal on a tubeless tyre must give you extra safety if it deflates while descending.

The deflated tyre will tend to stay on the rim longer, giving you an improved opportunity to bring the bike to a controlled stop.

Never had to prove my theory, thankfully.

wonderloaf

Veteran
This is one of the reasons I'm sticking with tubeless, if that thorn had gone into the front tyre whilst descending and I'd been using an inner tube then things may have got a bit messy. At least the tubeless sealant would hopefully give you a bit more time to get things under control.

wonderloaf

Veteran
For your info I was inspired but another post on here about a DIY airshot for dumping a load of air into a tyre to seat it on the head. So found a fire extinguisher for 8.99 in Aldi and modded it.

View attachment 499091
Great minds think alike, I've also converted an Aldi extinguisher:
1578232239974.png

I wanted to put the inlet valve in the side as you've done, but couldn't get the top off to drill the casing and pass the valve from the inside so ended up modding the pressure valve instead. Really pleased with my effort and works like a charm!

Mark pallister

View attachment 499121
I wanted to put the inlet valve in the side as you've done, but couldn't get the top off to drill the casing and pass the valve from the inside so ended up modding the pressure valve instead. Really pleased with my effort and works like a charm!
How do you charge the fire ex ?

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Track pump

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
View attachment 499121

yep getting the top off required a vice and some strong arm tactics ;-)

Top Bottom