Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
Any increase in exercise will most likely lead to an increase in performance up to a point. You would probably see an even sharper increase if you devoted the time it takes to run 30 miles towards some proper high intensity training on the bike.
Then stop running and put some quality time in on the bike. 70-80 miles per week is simply not enough.

All of this is very true.

When I was primarily a runner (with a couple of sub 2:50 marathons) I ran pb's in qute a few races after I started doing triathlons and cut back my running to do the swimming and cycling training. Cross training certainly helps with overall fitness, but I have to say that my cycling improved in leaps and bounds when I started to concentrate on cycling. The question is where do your priorities lie.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why DO people run when God gave us bicycles?

Milzy

Guru
Im not as good as your average club cyclist put it that way as i dont put the mileage in but im reasonably strong and can do 70 plus miles without too many ill effects
i guess i average about 17/18 mph for an average 30-40 mile route,bear in mind i live in a very lumpy area

Thanks for all the responses,i defer to your advice and superior knowledge and will alter my training schedule accordingly
ta
I've found lots of club cyclists can't manage above 18mph. I regard people who can maintain 18mph for a few hours as very fit.

Venod

Eh up
I found that when I was running 30 + miles a week I would climb the hills in a higher gear than most of my cycling mates I wasn't any faster as they were using a more efficient cadence, I still run but not as much and now spin up the hills rather than push, I wouldn't say a regular running performance improves your cycling but it will certainly help with your fitness, I have several mates who swear their cycling has made them a better runner, but I think if you want to improve your cycling concentrate on cycling, running more will just make you a better runner.

Pdstubbs

Regular
I find running helps me lose weight and its a more intense workout than cycling ( no coasting option ). The downside is I regularly overdo the running and get injured :-(. I enjoy doing both but feel a stronger cyclist when doing lots of miles on the bike. Eg when I go for one of those strava challenges.

Top Bottom