Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

line71

Does a regulary running programme improve your cycling performance?
I would be interested to hear from anyone presently doing a distance running regime of say 30 miles plus a week
Have you noticed your strength and endurance increase,particulary on the hills?

Im posing the question as a cyclist whose performance has not improved for many years despite regular cycling on a variety of inclines and terrain and am now tentatively embarking on a running schedule in the hope the markedly harder activity of running will reap a tangible difference in my overall fitness and stamina

ta

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
No

Milzy

Guru
As a distance runner I found cycling easy to adapt to. Running up hills should improve your cycling performance. I also agree with the above from Rob.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Does a regulary running programme improve your cycling performance?
I would be interested to hear from anyone presently doing a distance running regime of say 30 miles plus a week
Have you noticed your strength and endurance increase,particulary on the hills?

Im posing the question as a cyclist whose performance has not improved for many years despite regular cycling on a variety of inclines and terrain and am now tentatively embarking on a running schedule in the hope the markedly harder activity of running will reap a tangible difference in my overall fitness and stamina

ta

Why not just make your cycling training markedly harder? Running seems like a very odd way to seek improvement on the bike.

boydj

Legendary Member
Cross-training is good, particularly weight-bearing exercise like running. The additional fitness can only help, particularly with endurance, but if you want to improve cycling speed and endurance, then you need quality training on the bike.

OP
OP
L

line71

Thanks for the replies but no one has mentioned that they are currently running so i am still needing a reliable response to my query
To just re emphasize my point and be specific would a moderate runner doing around 30 miles attain a better performance uphill coupled with the usual 70/80 plus miles of regular cycling a week?
I find a palpable difference in my overall stamina just after a few weeks of running that i never feel after hundreds of miles of cycling reguardless of riding hard,its as if my performance has hit a ceiling on my bike
im not interested in speed but performance on the hills,where it really matters as a gauge of your ability as a cyclist

To just re emphasize my point and be specific would a moderate runner doing around 30 miles attain a better performance uphill coupled with the usual 70/80 plus miles of regular cycling a week?
I find a palpable difference in my overall stamina just after a few weeks of running that i never feel after hundreds of miles of cycling reguardless of riding hard,its as if my performance has hit a ceiling on my bike

Any increase in exercise will most likely lead to an increase in performance up to a point. You would probably see an even sharper increase if you devoted the time it takes to run 30 miles towards some proper high intensity training on the bike.

im not interested in speed but performance on the hills,where it really matters as a gauge of your ability as a cyclist

Then stop running and put some quality time in on the bike. 70-80 miles per week is simply not enough.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Thanks for the replies but no one has mentioned that they are currently running so i am still needing a reliable response to my query

You want to perform better in the hills (i.e. go up them quicker) on your bike, so identify the limiting factors, long hills - power at lactate threshold, short hills - power at VO2 Max, set about improving your power at these points through relevant hard training, examples, threshold can be improved by 2x20 mins sessions at threshold, power at VO2 Max can be improved by sessions such as 4x5 mins or 6x3 mins, very hard! Additionally you should set about dropping your body weight if it is not already optimally low.

70-80 miles a week is nothing, ramp that up to 200 miles a week, including a mix of endurance and hard training and your performance on the bike will improve. You are simply not training enough or hard enough.

Also your comment "im not interested in speed but performance on the hills,where it really matters as a gauge of your ability as a cyclist" is an utterly ridiculous statement!

Last edited:
I run, sometimes, not 30 miles a week but around 12 or 15 through the winter and then return to the bike in Spring. Mixed in with the running is some mtn biking but not much, more this year I hope.

Yes it helps but not for improving my cycling. I find I come back to the cycling CV fit and with reasonable stamina but no power. If you want to improve on the bike, take the advice above.

OP
OP
L

line71

As a matter of interest ... how good or bad is your cycling fitness? What kind of speed can you average for what kind of distance?
Im not as good as your average club cyclist put it that way as i dont put the mileage in but im reasonably strong and can do 70 plus miles without too many ill effects
i guess i average about 17/18 mph for an average 30-40 mile route,bear in mind i live in a very lumpy area

Thanks for all the responses,i defer to your advice and superior knowledge and will alter my training schedule accordingly
ta

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'd say that you are doing pretty well! If you want to get more fit for cycling though, then I would concentrate on the cycling.

(I would actually like to start running again, but my hip joints are half worn out so it wouldn't be very sensible.)

OP
OP
L

line71

Thanks alot,im getting back on my bike this week and try to put some miles in,it will be a relief as ive been in considerable pain after half a dozen lengthy runs,my body used to acclimatize quite fast when i began a course of running in the past but now im really suffering,probably due to my age!

thanks again,now,where did i leave my blinking cycling shorts?

Top Bottom