Running & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cambsno

Do the two go well together? It may be coincidence but I did a couple of decent rides last week and now struggling to run.

Ok, so not the 'fittest' out there - but have run a bit in the past and trying to get back into it with a half marathon coming up.

Recently have been out on a 'big' ride at weekend (20-30m) and maybe a quick 8-10 mile midweek some weeks. Have been able to build up running to hit 3 miles last Sat. Then i did a 45 mile ride Sunday and then a 36 mile ride (with more hills than normal) Tuesday - went out twice since then for a run and legs hurt so only did a mile each time.

Did I put too much into the 2 rides in quick succession and running was just too much? Do I need to limit or watch the amount I bike to allow myself to run properly?

Am 48 so no spring chicken and could do with losing a couple of stone!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I enjoy both but at 62 with a dodgy back and sciatic nerve damage struggle doing both too. They both just fatigue my legs for each other. I should probably stick to mainly cycling in summer/good weather and revert to running over the winter months I think. You seem to get away with mixing the two when you are younger and maybe recover better.

Venod

Eh up
Triathletes seem to manage OK.
I did both for years, but was never a master at either, but of a reasonable standard, the cycling club sometimes organised winter training runs and it was quite noticeable that some of the fittest cyclist found it a struggle to run.
So I suppose its a case of how much you favour each discipline.
I have just started running again after a five year break forced on me by a cycling accident, it might be my imagination but I am feeling stronger uphill.
I am definitely no spring chicken at 69 but I have recently bettered a few uphill Strava segments from 2013 so I will keep the running going while I can.

I can't remember either where I read it, or the exact details, but I have seen a very good article on this topic. Conclusion was that runners and cyclists use muscles, ligaments and/or tendons in a different way. I can no longer run so didn't retain too much of what was said.
Someone with infinite patience can trawl Google and come up with an answer.
Triathletes are seldom top of the bunch in any one discipline, but can marry the three together better than mere mortals.

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
I have a friend who is a very fit Fell runner.He's also OK on a bike up to a point.He is a pretty good climber but on the flat struggles to turn a big gear for long periods.What he gains going up hill he loses out to me going down and on the flat.
Different use of different muscles.

Last edited:
I can't remember either where I read it, or the exact details, but I have seen a very good article on this topic. Conclusion was that runners and cyclists use muscles, ligaments and/or tendons in a different way. I can no longer run so didn't retain too much of what was said.
Triathletes are seldom top of the bunch in any one discipline, but can marry the three together better than mere mortals.
Alex Yee might disagree with you there.

And what do you mean marry the three together better than mere mortals ? Of course they do - that is what they train for.

Running and cycling complement each other very well - it's different muscle groups but obviously the same cardio system.

I think you have just overdone it and needed a bit of a rest after the bike. Sensible training on the bike and running will be a boon to both sports - it's only when you get to the elite levels that you'd be faster concentrating on the one sport - and even then maybe not.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Sorry, Darius - I'm going to have a go too, with examples (besides Yee) - of course I appreciate that this could be construed 'seldom'.
Sorry you can no longer run (I empathise) but great you have got some memory of the 'very good article' even if not the detail.
Lucy Charles-Barclay (currently ranked world #4 in medium/long distance tri) has just come second in the 1500m GB olympic trials (by a forearm length): top of the bunch.
Katrina Matthews (currently ranked world #10 in medium/long distance tri) won the National 100 mile TT last August in 3:54 : top of the bunch ('bunch' obviously not allowed in TT).
Beth Potter (GB standard distance tri and ?7th in Leeds yesterday) was recorded at 14:42 for 5km in the autumn - a world best time: top of the bunch.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
For what it is worth, I found that cycling and running never worked for me but I always thought it was a psychological thing. Running always seemed to be a lot of hard work for little reward but having said that, I have suffered from a long term back injury for most of my life and cycling has always been kinder to me.

Drago

Legendary Member
Triathletes do well, but its not a natural combo. They do alright, but generally are neither competitive with either top flight runners or top flight cyclists who do similar levels of training - they tune themselves the he the mest that can at all their disciplines, which precludes top performance in any one. The physiological differences brought about by each activity are somwhat at odds, most notably with the hamstring and the manner in which cycling develops and shortens it.

But fundamentally, for scruffy oiks like you or I, at the level we work and perform there is no issue at all. I used to enjoy a run until arthritis came a calling, and at the level at which I cycle it did no harm at all.

Triathletes do well, but its not a natural combo. They do alright, but generally are neither competitive with either top flight runners or top flight cyclists who do similar levels of training - they tune themselves the he the mest that can at all their disciplines, which precludes top performance in any one. The physiological differences brought about by each activity are somwhat at odds, most notably with the hamstring and the manner in which cycling develops and shortens it.

But fundamentally, for scruffy oiks like you or I, at the level we work and perform there is no issue at all. I used to enjoy a run until arthritis came a calling, and at the level at which I cycle it did no harm at all.
Apart from the ones that do you mean and have already been mentioned.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Its definitely different muscles, and if you develop cyclists thighs, they don't help for distance running.. i play hockey. so will normally do a bit of running pre season to make the agony of the first match at little less - very little prepares your muscles for running around using a hockey stick. My kids, who both were decent-ish school 800m/1500m runners reckon that hockey and distance running don't particularly complement each other either. hockey "thighs" are also a thing and subtly different from cyclists thighs.

cardio / aerobic fitness or whatever its called obviously helps with all sports

I have found that cycling complement skiing muscles quite well - see also Alain Baxter & Primoz Roglic (pretty sure there have been others)

Punkawallah

Über Member
Triathletes do well, but its not a natural combo. They do alright, but generally are neither competitive with either top flight runners or top flight cyclists who do similar levels of training - they tune themselves the he the mest that can at all their disciplines, which precludes top performance in any one. (Snip)

A big part of Triathlon training for beginners is getting used to the transition from bike to run. Legs need practice at it before they can make the switch without 'wobbling'.

OP might have provided their own answer when they say 'ain't no spring chicken and could do with losing a couple of stone'? Could easily be a case of 'too keen'.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have no evidence other than ill-informed observation plus comments from friends. This suggests when cyclists take up running their bike performance suffers. I've seen this with a few who decide to complete a triathlon or ironman.

Possibly there's concentration on improving running and swimming? Everyone I've talked with says pacing the swim is important, cycling is where time is gained or made up and the run is a question of getting through it.

Top Bottom