Running & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
I run and ride. It’s using muscles differently and I think it helps improve my overall fitness. It’s definitely helped me lose weight. I enjoy both (yes, including the running!).

It’s definitely helped me lose weight.

Both running and cycling are fantastic for weight loss.

For me, cycling is easier and therefore better. Judging by the calories burned estimate on Strava, which yes they need to be taken with a pinch of salt but that's a start nonetheless, I burn roughly the same amount of calories when I cycle for 1.5 hour or when I run for 1.5 hour (both activities done in Zone 2 heart rate). Only difference is that after I cycle for 1.5 hours I'm only starting to break a sweat but after 1.5 hour run I'm done in :laugh:

I've read that the best training for cycling, is cycling

however, back when I was on a rip, at the peak of my body transformation efforts (2009-2010) running was an important component of my rotating routine. that included running, cycling, swimming, weight training & racquetball. at 50 I was in the best condition of my life

Sniper68

It'll be Reyt.
The Brownlee brothers started their competitive life in fell-races, & still attend same races when they can
(I've been at the same events as all 3, & watched the effortlessness)
On a side note we met the Brownlees at the cycle-circuit that bares their name at Adel:becool:My son was at a training session and they were off running.Two nicer young men you couldn't hope to meet:becool:
30164318788_5f0f0491e9_z.jpg

boydj

Legendary Member
Per bone density above. Nothing going for walk regularly won’t solve. Low bone density generally means you’ve been sedentary when off the bike. Plus walking will avoid many the common injuries you hear your running mates complaining of.

The above is true, just as Confused above is correct.

Way back in the 80's I got into running through lunchtime runs at work, where there were a few club runners. I graduated through the slower groups to the faster group and got into road and cross-country running, completing 5 marathons in the process as well as many 1/2 marathons and shorter races. As I neared my 40's I decided that pounding the roads was not doing my knees any good and decided to take up triathlon, which got me cycling and reduced the running miles. While my swimming was no better than competent and the cycling was all effort and no technique, on the run section, though, I was enjoying passing lots of better swimmers and cyclists. The cross-training was a huge benefit and the year I turned 40 I ran a lot of pb's in club races.

A couple of years later and I burst a hamstring badly playing football and my running, once I was able, went from sub 6-minute miles to more like 7:30 minute miles and never recovered. I don't/can't run now - having stopped for a long time, I tried to start again and my achilles complained in a major way.

There's no doubt in my mind combining running and cycling is good for your fitness and a good way of maintaining bone density. I note that Beth Potter, an Olympic 10k runner in Rio, is now GB's top female triathlete, winning at Euro level fairly recently. The top triathletes are very good runners - running 10k's at close to 30 minutes pace, after the swim and cycle, is a pretty good standard.

These days I play golf several days a week to get my weight-bearing exercise and cycle. I think I'm still pretty fit for my age.

On a side note we met the Brownlees at the cycle-circuit that bares their name at Adel:becool:My son was at a training session and they were off running.Two nicer young men you couldn't hope to meet:becool:
One of the guys in my running club (l’m a lapsed member) was the PE Tutor at Bradford Grammar School

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Both running and cycling are fantastic for weight loss.

For me, cycling is easier and therefore better. Judging by the calories burned estimate on Strava, which yes they need to be taken with a pinch of salt but that's a start nonetheless, I burn roughly the same amount of calories when I cycle for 1.5 hour or when I run for 1.5 hour (both activities done in Zone 2 heart rate). Only difference is that after I cycle for 1.5 hours I'm only starting to break a sweat but after 1.5 hour run I'm done in :laugh:
This is pretty uch me too.

I've cycled all my life, and can go pretty much all day, at a reasonable pace, without it feeling overly strenuous - even up Devon hills.

But I took up running over last winter, as a faster way of maintaining fitness, in fewer hours per week..

And because everyone had to take up something new during lockdown right??

Running certainly feels harder work, for me, and as if something more cardio is happening.
An hour n a half is plenty :angel:

It's obviously helped with hauling a backpack up Scottish mountains too.
That didn't feel so difficult, for the first couple of days out, like it often can.

The all that gets wrapped up with some good yoga practice, everyday..

To keep all the bones where they should be .:smile:

One thing I noticed that helps my running a lot, and I mean night and day, is doing at least 15 minutes of foam rolling before the run.

The more foam rolling I do before, the smoother I run, the less I'm in "pain" the next day.

Per bone density above. Nothing going for walk regularly won’t solve. Low bone density generally means you’ve been sedentary when off the bike. Plus walking will avoid many the common injuries you hear your running mates complaining of.
Running evangelists in denial of injuries are almost as common. This thread will eventually die out, and then after a grace period someone will post how running injuries only happen if you do it wrong.

I note posts like this:
A couple of years later and I burst a hamstring badly playing football and my running, once I was able, went from sub 6-minute miles to more like 7:30 minute miles and never recovered. I don't/can't run now - having stopped for a long time, I tried to start again and my achilles complained in a major way.

There's no doubt in my mind combining running and cycling is good for your fitness and a good way of maintaining bone density. I note that Beth Potter, an Olympic 10k runner in Rio, is now GB's top female triathlete, winning at Euro level fairly recently. The top triathletes are very good runners - running 10k's at close to 30 minutes pace, after the swim and cycle, is a pretty good standard

I know it's an eternity in absolute terms, but if I recall correctly, Alistair Brownlee run the 10K section, in about 80 seconds more than it took Mo Farrar!!
After the swim & ride, plus coping with a road circuit, that's definitely worthy of praise!!:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Running evangelists in denial of injuries are almost as common. This thread will eventually die out, and then after a grace period someone will post how running injuries only happen if you do it wrong.

I note posts like this:
Mehh. I've been running for 20 years or so. Can't recall any running injuries. I've broken a leg but also broken bones cycling and around the house so it's no Biggie. Love it - races all round the world. It's been fun.

Top Bottom