Running & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I think running and cycling go really well together! Running is much more time efficient so I tend to do it during the week and it gives superb cardiovascular workouts and increases bone density! Cycling for me is all about joy and not about fitness but builds strong legs for running! I’m a massive fan of both sports!

boydj

Legendary Member
Running evangelists in denial of injuries are almost as common. This thread will eventually die out, and then after a grace period someone will post how running injuries only happen if you do it wrong.

I note posts like this:

Note that in all the years of running I never injured myself running in spite of regular twice-a-day sessions with a lot of intensity built in. My most serious injuries happened playing football and the only broken bones I've had have been cycling injuries. Like most sports, you need to listen to your body and not let yourself get over-tired, which is when you are most susceptible to injury.

Cycling is easier on the body than running in that you can take it just as hard or easy as you want and you are not taking the physical pounding of your feet on tarmac. When you are running it's almost as hard to run slowly as it is to run at your natural pace.

After running a marathon it would be a week before I was running smoothly again, though I could race half-marathons on successive week-ends.

Venod

Eh up
and the only broken bones I've had have been cycling injuries

Me two, a cycling accident put a stop to my life long running.

I have had running injury's though, mostly pulled muscles, and twisted ankles from off road running.

Last edited:
I think including injuries from crashes is clutching at straws somewhat. Cycling is a very safe activity. The pros take enormous risks (that we have no need to), racing hundreds of hours per season; yet career-ending crashes are (fortunately) very rare.

This is the more interesting data:
I have had running injury's though, mostly pulled muscles, and twisted ankles from of road running.

Last edited:

tudor_77

Über Member
I do both, obviously running is far more challenging which is why it invites such negativity in certain quarters. Cycling is much more gentle on the body so can be done for longer duration which can have some advantages for fitness but I don't think it can compete with running in terms of the overall fitness levels it produces.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I do both, obviously running is far more challenging which is why it invites such negativity in certain quarters. Cycling is much more gentle on the body so can be done for longer duration which can have some advantages for fitness but I don't think it can compete with running in terms of the overall fitness levels it produces.
I find, as hard as it is these days, running always seems to give me a bit more of a buzz.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I find, as hard as it is these days, running always seems to give me a bit more of a buzz.

Me too really, much as I love cycling, and do it over longer periods and distances, I still sort of see it mainly as a 'leisure' pursuit.

When I'm not utility cycling for shopping, or deliveries, pub visits etc..

I find running is much better for shaking loose any bits of 'overthinking' or it really helps if I'm a bit cross about something.

Running seems to override all that in quite a cool way.

And conversely if I do any 'complicated' or negative thinking while running, it slows me right down..

Its almost as if the mind and the body, and their energies, are mysteriously connected in some way...

:angel:

Tommohawk

I do both also. Both are equally as good although running is far more time efficient I find and is able to be done in pretty much any kind of weather.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
I too have done both. For example I've done 3 sub 3.30 marathons, sub 1.30 halfs (Paddock wood) and a few long 40min 10k's on Whitstable and sub 5min 1500m, my best 3mile is 19.18. So not that brilliant in a club sense but alright for well over 40.
I don't agree that it is more fitness producing than cycling, I have done "some" timetrialling and frankly found it harder to train for and maintain the levels of extreme muscle endurance required to be good. I get the thing about if you are running you are running so therefore working hard but I suspect that just means that your not really riding that hard.

Wow, what a great trolling/baiting post, it's got it all.

Anyone going to bite?? 👅

Top Bottom