Running & Cycling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Have "generally" and "seldom" been removed from the dictionary?

I ask because two posters have used these words, and received replies suggesting they think the meanings are "always" and "never".

of course I appreciate that this could be construed 'seldom'
Yes, I would say so. Pick a random top-level bike race or running race, and the winner will seldom be a full-time triathlete.

(When was the last Grand Tour winner who also won an Olympic Triathlon? Again, seldom happens, I suspect ... )

I only know a couple of cases of top athletes who competed a elite level in more than 1 discipline:

- Cameron Wurf, professional cyclist for team Ineos, is also a top triathlete, winner of multiple ironman events and he arrived 3rd in Kona I think 2-3 years ago. He was also an olympic rower.

- Lucy Charles, who is now top triathlete and got 2nd place in Kona 3 years in a row, and started her career as one of the uk top open water swimmers, just barely missing on an olympic spot.

As good as cycling is for us, it's not a weight bearing exercise so we need to do something to build and maintain bone density, especially as we age. Running can compliment cycling by improving cardiovascular fitness, but you get the benefits of pounding pavement. If one is training to win races, then heavy training for running could be detrimental to cycling performance, but for the average person only concerned with all round health and keeping up with their mates on a road bike, adding running to the mix is a great idea, cycling on its own is not necessarily going to counter low bone density and its attendant problems. More exercise is generally better than less, unless you fail to mitigate potential for overtraining. I wouldn't worry too much about overtraining, unless you've got a deadline by which you need to ride a century, or run a marathon, you'll get used to your own body, and how far you can push yourself in time.

I generally limit my runs to 5k, 3 times a week, simply because long runs are boring as hell, and I don't have unlimited time for exercise on top of my cycling and resistance regime. I'm not a pro-cyclist, nor have the concerns of someone training seriously for some competition, but I'm certainly healthier for running. Whilst I respect those that challenge themselves in competition or extreme endurance riding, I just don't want to commit the time to train for for that these days, adding a quick run to my routine is not big deal and I'm definitely feeling generally fitter for it. I think everyone should be capable of running 5k and not feel like death after. We a meant to move and our bodies become unhealthy if we don't, cycling alone won't keep us healthy in the long run. If weight loss is your goal, you might consider adding some resistance training to the mix, as it will improve your basal metabolic rate (burning fat whilst idle) so you can drop those extra pounds without having to run/ride it off, and also it is obviously 'weight bearing'!

Last edited:
We all saw Froome running up that mountain that time. Essential if you're going to win the Tour.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Per bone density above. Nothing going for walk regularly won’t solve. Low bone density generally means you’ve been sedentary when off the bike. Plus walking will avoid many the common injuries you hear your running mates complaining of.

Chislenko

Veteran
I am a both activity person, however I find I need to do them almost alternatively.

If I don't bike for a while and concentrate on running I can still get back on a bike and cycle no problem.

Turn it the other way, say a month of cycling then try and go for a run I feel as if I am "starting again"

Yesterday was a prime example, been cycling and not running for a few weeks, so decided on a run, one and a half miles only and I was done, legs that had stood me in good stead on the bike just had nothing to give.

I have a friend who is a very fit Fell runner.He's also OK on a bike up to a point.He's a pretty good climber but on the flat struggles to turn a big gear for long periods.What he gains going up hill he loses out to me going down and on the flat.
Different use of different muscles.
Some can combine the 2 very well, eg;
Rob Jebb
12 x winner of the Three Peaks Cyclo-Cross has also won the Three Peaks Fell-Race 4 times

The Brownlee brothers started their competitive life in fell-races, & still attend same races when they can
(I've been at the same events as all 3, & watched the effortlessness)

Richard Thackray the ex GB squad cyclo-cross rider/Pace Research MTB racer is another good runner
His brother Robert, also rode CX & is now a good triathlete
(Roberts daughter, Sophie is a National level CX racer, and has ridden in tne Tour de Yorkshire)
As An Aside
Jebb, rhe Brownlees, & Richard are all members of Bingley Harriers (as was Ron Hill, who passed decently)

On a lower level , l have friends who mix fell-running with Cyclo-Cross, one guy (Phil) has 20+ 3PCX, & about 7 3PFR under his belt
I think he dabbles with triathlon too

Another guy, when he's fully fit can podium on almost any Vet 55-60 Triathlon in the country (as can his other half in a VF50 duathlon)

Drago

Legendary Member
As good as cycling is for us, it's not a weight bearing exercise so we need to do something to build and maintain bone density...
And this is why God bestowed gravity upon us.

Top Bottom