Running

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I was a runner for about 30 years and really loved it. I have also done a few triathlons. Good all round fitness I felt. I hav`nt swam for many years and hav`nt run much since about 2009. I tried it after a few times since then but it messed my knees up and now I can`t run. It just does not gel now so I only cycle. Am I any less fit ? No. The biggest difference to me is that I don`t feel the tiredness in the legs after a cycle ride like I did a run. Sure the legs can ache but then so they can after gardening or washing the car. Cycling has been a great life saver after the running and even more thankful for it over the past couple of months.

faster

Über Member
It was magical for me. The start in darkness with the Cockerell crowing, 'Maritzburgs resemblance to buildings in Dorchester, watching the sun rise as the race progresses and those life saving jacket potatoes dipped in salt 😊

Originally I wasn't expecting to run it, I'd run a steady Glasgow to Edinburgh in April but then the training fell apart. It was only the fact that the airfare and accommodation was non refundable that made me decide to go and Recce the setup.

I was at the Friday expo and decided to "wing it" and see how far I'd get before they hoiked me out.

Best decision I ever made. I had a lump in my throat as everyone sang "Nkosi Sikelel iAfrica" The camaraderie along the way, the African guy wearing a beige three piece suit who overtook me in the latter stages 😯

Somehow I made it and was in the infield watching as the referee with the revolver walked to the finish line to end the race.

Know exactly how you feel - I'm not sure what it is, but Comrades definitely gets under your skin :smile:

Just in case you were ever thinking of making a comeback, 2021 will be the 100th anniversary if it goes ahead. I'll be there if I think I'm in with a chance of finishing and air travel is not prohibitively expensive when all this is over.

It should be a good one. It'll be a down run too!

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
Nope - I bloody hate running.

Tried it one winter when I was at uni in an effort to retain some fitness as I wasn't keen on cycling due to the wind chill / chance of coming off / hardness on the kit. Despite having a "reasonable" level of cycling fitness, I couldn't even get around the block without stopping :rolleyes:

Add to that it's high impact and I have dodgy joints (especially knees and have a history of being overweight), plus I find cycling intrinsically interesting and enjoyable (probably due to the range and associated practicality / variety of scenery) while running is just boring pain.

As per Mo's post though they're apparently good complimentary exercises so probably not a bad combination if you're willing and able. I do walk a fair bit in an effort to add a bit of variety.

As for fitness, obviously you're going to get better at what you do most. Cycling has helped me lose weight recently and my asthma's got a lot better too (I've gone from using an inhailer typically at least once per day to rarely ever) although it's possible that this is due to diet / a combination of the two.

Top Bottom