Russian snow storm heading for the UK !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stargazer

Vermiculturist
Chelsfield hit by sudden snowstorm!

The village of Chelsfield, near Orpington, Kent was hit by a sudden showstorm at noon on Sunday. In some areas drifts up to 2mm deep formed. Flocks of local birds, confused by the sudden change in the weather, continued to eat at the feeders and splash in the pond as if nothing had happened. Emergency services may have looked up from their Sunday lunch but did not need to be mobilised as the snow had melted away by one o'clock.

(ACME News Ass'n)

wafflycat

peanut said:
this makes me laugh . We've had snow before for crissakes. Anyone old enough to remember 1966 will vouch for that. Half the country cut off for weeks. We were stranded at school in Essex and had to have food airlifted in by chopper.:sad:

Trains had snow ploughs fitted...they didn't get stuck on leaves in those days;)

We need to take care of our elderly and disabled or housbound neighbours. make sure they have enough food and warmth

Aye... the 60s had some bad winters.

1960s images..
Somerset

wakesnow.jpg

Annfield Plain
annfieldplain1963.jpg

Auntie Helen

Ich bin Powerfrau!
Weird mixture of snow flurries and beautiful blue skies out there. I cycled to church and back (17 mile round trip as I added a bit extra onto the journey) and it was lovely, if rather blowy. Now we've got some reasonable snow and it's settling on the heating oil tank I can see out of the study window.

I'll be on my bike tomorrow, though, to commute to Uni. Just hope the cars are sensible and don't start skidding towards me.

domd1979

Veteran
peanut said:
Trains had snow ploughs fitted...they didn't get stuck on leaves in those days;)

Like these...

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4pJwcE7JI

Couldn't find a Youtube of Snowdrift at Bleath Gill by British Transport Films, which is absolutely fantastic.

If there's a serious amount of snow it'll be interesting how the railway copes... The number of units/locos fitted with ploughs is limited, and there's only a handful of the big ploughs across the whole network...

Will1985

Über Member
Snowing in Birmingham - started at about 1pm with a few drops. Just been out in the car and had to use the wipers. Not going to be fun getting into uni tomorrow...

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Tiny snowflakes have appeared here.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Anybody else noticed the BBC graphics have changed again. I gather it does mean very heavy snow but the graphics make it look like the odd snowflake.

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Attention please.

We have had snow in the Midlands. If you don't hear from me again, you know that we have 6 foot of snow to the doors and windows. All communications will be lost and even the bloody curry house will be umming and arring about coming out. I even have a cossack hat on, just in case.

Thankfully we have the shed and conservatory to burn down, if things get a bit fraught. The dog is strapped up to a few dinner trays, so she is already to go.

Please wish us well.

louise

Just started snowing here in the North East of England I don't really trust the BBC website prefer met office websit which has turned most of the country a lovely shade of orange as the ad goes "the futures orange"

Top Bottom