Rutlands fight to remain McDonald's free..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
Last time I visited a McDonalds was Sunday, me and our lass ride to one most weekends for a coffee. The out of town ones are better as they tend to be quieter and safer for locking the bike up outside.

MahatmaAndhi

Even if the residents boycott it, the tourists won't. And there's a huge amount that visit the reservoir all year 'round from Lincolnshire, Leicestershire, Cambridgeshire, Northamptonshire and probably more that I've forgotten.
There's good arguments on either side. I actually enjoy a McDonalds coffee and visit Rutland Water quite often.

Drago

Legendary Member
The people of Rutland can moan all they want. When one is eventually built the people of Rutland will flock to it and fill the companies coffers. I can't say I'm a fan of McDonalds at all (their food, ethos or business model) but the bottom line is that a very vocal minority will eventually lose, and a very silent majority of Rutland residents will flock to it to stuff their faces.

Drago

Legendary Member
I'm not suggesting they aren't. I was thinking more of mass deforestation and contribution to climate change (a cows fart is 104 times per unit of volume more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2) that the organisation is responsible for in the name of providing fast food of dubious nutritional value. If you're going to be responsible for such massive environmental damage in the name of food production then it would be morally more cromulent if it were for the production of real food that could sustain people and actually nourish them and keep them fed and alive long term, and not just give already overweight westerners a 15 minute calorie induced endorphin hit.

Last edited:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Does anyone know if a McDonalds that has failed and closed down due to lack of customers?
They all seem very popular to me.

sheddy

Legendary Member
Another chance to air the Rutles !

View: https://youtu.be/ePaHG6g7uFw

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I'm not suggesting they aren't. I was thinking more of mass deforestation and contribution to climate change (a cows fart is 104 times per unit of volume more potent a greenhouse gas than CO2) that the organisation is responsible for in the name of providing fast food of dubious nutritional value. If you're going to be responsible for such massive environmental damage in the name of food production then it would be morally more cromulent if it were for the production of real food that could sustain people and actually nourish them and keep them fed and alive long term,

They can be criticised - this is an internet forum after all.

But then so can the companies who produced your cars, and probably most of the companies I deal with.

I tend to look at it from the bottom up.

The jobs for the staff at coal face, much needed in the north east if nowhere else, are more important than the global concerns which may, or may not, be intellectually suspect.

Drago

Legendary Member
They can be criticised - this is an internet forum after all.

But then so can the companies who produced your cars, and probably most of the companies I deal with.

I tend to look at it from the bottom up.

The jobs for the staff at coal face, much needed in the north east if nowhere else, are more important than the global concerns which may, or may not, be intellectually suspect.
The cars I don't drive, because I prefer cycling and dislike needless pollution? Similar criticism could indeed be levelled at them for sure.

Nevertheless, just because someone else is doing something bad that has never been justification for someone somewhere to join the party and copy them. Environmental damage and food supp,y are two very serious concerns for society going forward, so McDonalds gets double points for putting profit ahead of 2 different fields of global concern.

I'll happily level criticism wherever I think its deserved - if you've a list of other companies that are worthy of it then line them up and I'll gladly criticise them too.

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
A shopfront McDonald's in Durham City closed a few years ago.

It did a fair amount of trade, but rents in that part of Durham are high - a London based property company own the street.

It's now a Bank of Scotland.

Only a bank could have more money to pay in rent than McDonald's.

Top Bottom