S. Wales Valleys...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

houblon

Anyone here from the Valleys?

I've recently retired, like riding a bike in mountains and live in East Anglia. I'm thinking of moving somewhere a little more exciting ...

sheddy

Legendary Member
But is it harder to get up, the older we get ?

Cymro74

I live in South Wales on edge of the Valleys. Cycling is great but challenging. To leave my home the lowest gradient is 12%, and I have a 20% gradient if I come back on the best cycling route.
Once your legs are used to the hills it's great cycling country. It does influence your choice of bike too - I have three bikes, all with very low gears to ensure I can keep pedalling even when my legs are going.
There are also lots of NCN routes along old railways although the quality is very variable. You're better off searching out quieter roads up on the hills. There are also lots of opportunities to get off road on forest and mountain tracks. My main bike is therefore a steel tourer which copes well with rougher surfaces as well as tarmac.

OP
OP
H

houblon

I live in South Wales on edge of the Valleys. Cycling is great but challenging. To leave my home the lowest gradient is 12%, and I have a 20% gradient if I come back on the best cycling route.
Once your legs are used to the hills it's great cycling country. It does influence your choice of bike too - I have three bikes, all with very low gears to ensure I can keep pedalling even when my legs are going.
There are also lots of NCN routes along old railways although the quality is very variable. You're better off searching out quieter roads up on the hills. There are also lots of opportunities to get off road on forest and mountain tracks. My main bike is therefore a steel tourer which copes well with rougher surfaces as well as tarmac.
Thanks Cymro.
Are you native or incomer? How's the life apart from the cycling? My dad was born in RCT but hasn't been there in 80 years...he loves telling stories of the poverty and misery. He's like a Welsh Myles na gCopaleen. I tell him it's probably a bit different now.

Cymro74

Always lived here. Apart from great cycling, Wales has pros and cons. Community is still pretty good, although not as strong as I remember growing up in 80s. Environment is much better than before despite poorly designed roads everywhere. You can cycle up the mountains and down to the coast on a day ride.

The main work opportunities are public sector non-jobs or no future private sector. Quality of most services like education and health have declined dismally since devolution. Most people i know would gladly abolish the Assembly in a heartbeat. Worrying rise of nationalism exploiting patriotism, and blaming England for all of life's problems.

OP
OP
H

houblon

Always lived here. Apart from great cycling, Wales has pros and cons. Community is still pretty good, although not as strong as I remember growing up in 80s. Environment is much better than before despite poorly designed roads everywhere. You can cycle up the mountains and down to the coast on a day ride.

The main work opportunities are public sector non-jobs or no future private sector. Quality of most services like education and health have declined dismally since devolution. Most people i know would gladly abolish the Assembly in a heartbeat.

That really surprised me! You know we still have to pay for prescriptions in England?

Worrying rise of nationalism exploiting patriotism, and blaming England for all of life's problems.

We English nationalists like to blame EU for all of our problems. Same old bollocks really isn't it.

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
Lived in the south wales valleys all my life. I have zero problems with welsh assembly and have many friends who feel the same.
id rather live under welsh assembly government, than a boris tory government. If you want mountain biking its the place to live.....

Top Bottom