SA lottery - nobbled?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
A girlfriend of mine once won the Spanish lottery. With a British lottery ticket. And she hadn't even bought a ticket... :whistle:

(I got the same poorly edited junk mail but thought it unlikely that the Spanish lottery people would give lots of money to a ticket-less Brit but if they DID, then they would probably not use a photo of a Brit winning the British national lottery in a winner's email!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That's the odds of 4 rolls giving 4 double sixes. To calculate it correctly you would need to know the number of rolls taken throughout the entire game, and you could then calculate the odds of getting 4 double sixes consecutively at any point throughout that game which is different.
Oops, yes, of course!

I haven't counted how many times I roll in a typical game, but it would probably be scores of times. That would decrease my odds many times over.

Last edited:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I just think people feel that they don't need the publicity. If they can keep it quiet, they will and the lottery organisers are always willing to help them out in doing that.
Fair point,but after 'they've won' you'd think that if they opted for no publicity the lottery organisers would say something like 'The couple who wish to remain anonymous come from the north east of England' for example,but not a mention about anything after the jackpot has allegedly been won.🤔

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Here's a challenge: predict how many times this factoid will be posted on this thread.

:tongue:
I think that there is a 5/6 chance that it will be mentioned twice in the next 30 posts and that the 2 posts will be separated by at least 2 other posts, unless they straddle a page boundary! (I think many people check just the last couple of posts but only as long as they don't have to go to the effort of going back a page!)

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

That set of six numbers is as likely to come up as Hitler
Do you mean an identical Hitler now, or the one Hitler back then...?! :whistle:

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
That set of 6 numbers is as equally likely to come up as any other randomly picked set of 6 numbers.
Here's a challenge: predict how many times this factoid will be posted on this thread.

:tongue:
More likely, some idiot will question whether ‘random’ has any meaning in this context.
Does ‘random’ have any meaning in this context?

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
If I was a hacker, I'd be trying to access all the winners' online accounts with 'PASSWORD' or PIN '1234'. Those with insufficient imagination to pick numbers outside such an obvious sequence are unlikely to exercise their imagination elsewhere...
You bring to mind a scene from Trainspotting T2, where the lads go to a hardline loyalist boozer and nick loads of bank cards before heading to the ATM and withdrawing thousands of pounds using the PIN 1690 (AKA the Battle of the Boyne).

classic33

Leg End Member
Fair point,but after 'they've won' you'd think that if they opted for no publicity the lottery organisers would say something like 'The couple who wish to remain anonymous come from the north east of England' for example,but not a mention about anything after the jackpot has allegedly been won.🤔
They used to give a rough location of where the winning ticket was sold though.

Top Bottom