Sabbath September or Van Nicholas Yukon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Is there an alternative to grip shifters
As not a big fan of them.
Which is kinda drawing me to the yukon Ultegra.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Any ideas on where to find 2nd hand Van nicholas bikes does seem to be available apart from fleabay

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Any ideas on where to find 2nd hand Van nicholas bikes does seem to be available apart from fleabay

People who buy Ti bikes are not really the sort to sell them on. They are usually bought as a lifetime frame. Especially as (With Van Nich) the lifetime warranty is with the original owner only.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I do

vannics-jpg.23378.jpg

And there are plenty more Ti bikes in THIS thread

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Maroon; have you ridden a Rohloff bike ?
If not, I would suggest you try to. They're very different to derailleurs and it takes some getting used to. IME.
FWIW, I have an Enigma Ti Rohloff bike that used to have derailleurs fitted. The Rohloff is slower.
As for the twist grip shifter, there's no way around that I've been able to find. There is an Australian made electric shifter and a German company were developing a combined hydraulic brake/hydraulic drop bar shifter but they've gone quiet on that.
I'm using a HubBub bar end shifter but I still have to take my hand off the bar to change gear.
Have a look here for some alternatives:- http://cyclingabout.com/index.php/2011/11/rohloff-hubs-with-drop-handlebars/

My bike is in the thread that Ian has linked to but here's a more recent picture:-

8516641038_21847a4719_z.jpg
13-02-28 Enigma Rohloff RHS
by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

If you live in the South Manchester area, you're welcome to ride it.

BTW; if you're after a "do everything" bike or you're going to be doing a lot of commuting, consider discs.

OP
OP
M

maroon

Über Member
Thanks for the offer.
I've not had a chance to try a rohloff.
In your opinion would you recommend them over Derailleur

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
T
In your opinion would you recommend them over Derailleur

Draws deep breathe.

If you only have one bike and you like going quickly then no.
On the other hand, they're perfect for riding on unsurfaced trails and tracks and, if I had a commute, I'd plump for a hub gear for that.
Provided I had a "weekend" bike.
It has to be said that most people that I know with Rohloffs love them. I respect rather than love mine.
I use my derailleur bike for fast or long rides.

I would strongly advise riding one. If you can't, stick with derailleurs unless you have issues with derailleurs.

Without wanting to muddy the water further, have you considered the Alfine 11 ?
It's much cheaper and you can get STI type shifters.
Downsides are the narrower gear range and they're possibly not as reliable.
A friend has one on his commuting bike and he loves it. It rides as well as the Rohloff from my limited experience with it.

Venod

Eh up
I would echo Andrew Br's opinion on the Rolhoff, I had one on a MTB in was great in the mud and if you found yourself in the wrong gear at the bottom of a hill a twist of the grip gets you in the right one, but it does put weight on the back end and off road it means handling obstacles differently, I sold it and went back to conventional derailleur, I now cover the ground quicker and feel the back end easier to handle, I would have one again as a commuter/tourer/winter bike as they are a brilliant piece of engineering, it all depends on what type of riding you plan to do. I had straight bars on the MTB so the twist gear change was no problem ( although I would have preferred some type of trigger shifter) on drop bars a friend uses the same as Andrew Br but its not ideal.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have but this will be my dream bike ideally I'd like a VN YUKON with rohloff but can't justify the cost for mainly weekend use. Any ideas where I can get one secondhand.

You maybe in luck.
Look what has just appeared in classifieds. HERE
What size frame do you need?

PpPete

Legendary Member
Click on his name below the avatar, then "start conversation"
If you don't have that option yet cos you are a new member you'll need to get in touch with Shaun (site owner) to give you appropriate privileges.

BTW - another very satisfied VN Yukon owner here. Mine runs Campag Triple though.

Top Bottom