Sad Day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Basil.B

Guru
Saddest thing about owning a dog is when they pass on.
I had a dog called Sally too.

So sorry to hear your news.

It's about 7 years now since our dog took his last trip to the vet. I still miss him. (The dog, not the vet.....)

Strangely, I think of the dog most whenever I open the dishwasher. He always tried to stick his head in it, to see if there were any scraps to "forage". Accompanied by a shout of "git out of it" from me.

We chose not to have another dog, but now get our "fix" by minding a couple of dogs for friends from time to time, while they have hospital appointments and such like.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Yesterday actually.Had to take my 15 year old Cocker Spanial Sally to the vets.She had been unwell for a few days,collapsing into unconsciousness for short period and incontinent.Vet agreed that given her age that there was nothing could be done for her so agreed to euthanasia.

Returned from shopping this morning expected to see bundle of black fur dashing across the kitchen her stumpy tail wagging.That tail never stopped wagging.
Good by old friend.

Aw! Sad day for you.

I lost my boy seven years ago and after he died I cried every day for 13 months. I still miss him terribly.

They get such a short span of time with us and I think that good owners can console themselves with the good life that they gave to their buddies.

Like your dog, no doubt, my boy was well fed, was properly exercised, lived in doggie luxury in our house, was speedily and appropriately treated whenever he was poorly or injured and then, when the time came, we helped him on his way quickly.

You can't do any more than that to give your dog a great life in my opinion.

Travel well Sally. :smile:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Very sorry to hear of your loss. I'm sure she had 15 wonderful happy years with you :hugs:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
So sorry to hear this @pawl

It's a year and a bit since we had to let Chance, our Border Collie cross, go and I still think of him with great fondness every day. It was the right thing to do, but I dont mind admitting it reduced me to tears and still can if I dwell on it too long.

We swore we wouldn't get another dog for a while, but we only lasted 7 weeks. Neither of us could do with the seemingly empty house.

Think of the good times, I'm sure there were lots.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Hate to tell you this, but for the next few weeks/months you're going to suffer from what I can only call "ghost dog syndrome". You will see her out of the corner of your eye in all her favourite spots. When we lost Casey dog, I kept on seeing her lying at the top of the stairs, in the garden under Mrs R's Japanese maple (her favourite place to lie in the garden when it was sunny), in the sunny corner spot of the dining room. The only cure is a new dog when the time is right. (Make it a rescue dog too, as all of our dogs have been)

Our current incumbent is a Staffie cross of indeterminant age from our local rescue centre who loves people, grumbles at everything else, and instead of trying to steal pizza just sits in front of you and cries/whines/squeaks (tis embarassing really, but we love him to bits anyway)

classic33

Leg End Member
When I was a lad
And old shep was a pup
Over hills and meadows we'd stray
Just a boy and his dog
We were both full of fun
We grew up together that way

I remember the time at the old swimmin hole
When I would have drowned beyond doubt
But old shep was right there
To the rescue he came