Sad to see on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
.... the number of new Chpt3 bikes for sale. A good chunk of these have gone to these people who sell for a ridiculous sum on eBay with some £1500 more than original 🤷‍♂️

screenman

Legendary Member
Not sad for those who own one or wanting to sell one.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Why are they so more expensive than ordinary Bromptons? I googled but just got a 'down with the kids' corny American sales advert illustrating a 30 something bloke riding like a BMX teenager

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Well yeah if you are the seller, but I just think it’s like people buying limited edition motorbikes or cars and locking them away, never to drive and just sell later for a profit. Many people entered the ballot and tried online without success to get those bikes and then these eBayers got lucky and now just rip people off. The true Brompton riders, owners and fans now have to pay over the odds

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are always going to be people who have access to products or services that are in demand and sell them on for a profit. No different to ticket touts.
If you buy into the Brompton hype for their CHPT3 then it's up to you if you think it's worth paying over the odds.

I remember when my daughter was small she collected 'Blue nose bears' and they bought out a limited run of great big ones.

They retailed at £50 at the time, which was outrageous to start with, Xmas came and could I get one anywhere?

Ended up paying £150 for one off Ebay, I kid you not!

Point is there's always a mug around!:laugh:

The true Brompton riders, owners and fans now have to pay over the odds

Heres the thing, they dont "HAVE TO " pay over the odds , they may choose to , but certainly dont have to, there are some folk that say brompton are ripping off their customers themselves with the "limited editions" but same again , no one is forced into buying one.

hence the phrase, something is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

Heres the thing, they dont "HAVE TO " pay over the odds , they may choose to , but certainly dont have to, there are some folk that say brompton are ripping off their customers themselves with the "limited editions" but same again , no one is forced into buying one.

hence the phrase, something is worth whatever somebody is willing to pay for it.
I don’t disagree they ‘ don’t have to’ my point was it’s sad that non genuine cyclists have been lucky enough to buy them and then take advantage of those who really wanted one. I understand no one has to buy anything, but again, that was not my point

Why are they so more expensive than ordinary Bromptons? I googled but just got a 'down with the kids' corny American sales advert illustrating a 30 something bloke riding like a BMX teenager
There's a bit of titanium on them and a flash saddle. But no mudguards which may work for Girona but not for the UK.

Praetorian

Regular
I agree with Tripster, its sad to see people buy stuff, just to make a quick profit, and possibly deny a fan or genuine collector. Its supply and demand, its the way it works.
I did get the chance to buy one, i got the email, but in the cold light of day, i could not justify buying one, as i already own a S2E-X model, so 2K for a fancy paint job and some limited edition parts.
Dont get me wrong im a fan of the CHPT3 bromptons, but its not too far removed from what i already own.
Two ways to stop the profiteering is for Brompton to offer the CHPT3 all the time (not limited edition)
or refuse to pay the Ebay price.
In my opinion 4K or more, for a Brompton is way too much to pay.
Nobody likes being ripped off, and when you know the retail price vs the Ebay price, well a fool and his money.
So to the Ebay sellers, you will not be getting my money, so enjoy your 2K paperweight, and if you do find someone to pay your asking price, well enjoy your shameless profiteering

OP
OP
T

Tripster

maybe i am,
but you need to make up your mind

The true Brompton riders, owners and fans now have to pay over the odds

then
I understand no one has to buy anything, but again, that was not my point

then

If they want one,
I don’t need to do anything sunshine. Have a nice day