Sad to see on ebay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Paying extra for cosmetics isn't for me.
You don't do that with the original sales price from Brompton. With every single special edition since they started doing them in 2011 oder 2012, if I remember correctly, the special edition bikes have not been more expensive as their normal silblings plus the price for the additional extras like special saddle or bags, when you split the prices down. The custom paint job was for free as was the sometimes special bag design. This may have changed a bit with the recent 2020 CHPT3 as at least in Germany it seemed expensive to me - something around 2.700-2.800 AFAIR - a bit steep for a S6Ex with a bag. The bag alone was shortly listed on Brompton's web page for around 80GBP but gone quickly.

So it is basically the guys offering for speculative prices that make a fortune and the demand seems mainly to come from Asia from what dealers tell me. During the first years you could easily grab a special addition from a Brompton dealer for the normal price or even below and even with a year of delay as they did not sell too well back then. This has only changed relatively recently with the massive peak being started with the Explore and now the CHPT3. Brompton has become way more popular and though the production numbers for special editions are massively higher than they used to be they sell out quickly. Now even older special editions pop up with a phantasy price tag on ebay. I do have my doubts that many sell at those prices given how many are on sale and for how long they are listed.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It was a shrewd investment by some people and some other people have more money than sense imo. I cant see them doing anything different to my 9Streets.

I don’t disagree they ‘ don’t have to’ my point was it’s sad that non genuine cyclists have been lucky enough to buy them and then take advantage of those who really wanted one. I understand no one has to buy anything, but again, that was not my point
You are contradicting yourself as you posted
eBayers got lucky and now just rip people off.
They are not ripping anyone off as you said

I understand no one has to buy anything,

Its not unreasonable to say that those buying are intending on doing the same as the ebayers. Are these limited edition Bromptons far superior to any other Brompton?
You are assuming those who were lucky enough to get them were not genuine cyclists and Brompton cyclists at that. I would suggest most of them were but the profit was just to much for them not to take advantage of.
As an aside I would suggest that Brompton could also be accused of being rip off merchants
Anyway what ballot?
What's a Brompton?
Just looked it up A FOLDING BIKE what a daft idea!!

Last edited:

Kingfisher101

Über Member
People make money where they can. It is what it is.

straas

Matt
Couldn't brompton do something where the warranty is linked to the first buyer only?

Not sure if that would be enough to dent the premium.

As someone else has said, it's no different to other parts of life or business. It's just more annoying when it's something that you want, but the seller might have no interest in beyond the profit.

OP
OP
T

Tripster

You are contradicting yourself as you posted

They are not ripping anyone off as you said

Its not unreasonable to say that those buying are intending on doing the same as the ebayers. Are these limited edition Bromptons far superior to any other Brompton?
You are assuming those who were lucky enough to get them were not genuine cyclists and Brompton cyclists at that. I would suggest most of them were but the profit was just to much for them not to take advantage of.
As an aside I would suggest that Brompton could also be accused of being rip off merchants
Anyway what ballot?
What's a Brompton?
Just looked it up A FOLDING BIKE what a daft idea!!

Ok, thanks for such a detailed response. My explanation has been picked up a few times so clearly I have got my general comment across wrongly. One of those times on Cyclechat it pays to say nothing 👍

Top Bottom