Saddle advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andywinds

I'm finding that my saddle is not that comfy, even on some shorter rides this happens. Its the centre area that causes me the most trouble (without being too graphic). How would I know if an online shop's saddle will be suitable, can I try it on and send back, and keep this up until I find one that is better?

I have had saddle problems myself in the last year ( due to injuries never had a problem with any saddle before) and of course you can't tell over the internet whether a saddle will suit you. I would search through your local-ish bike shops to see if any offer a try before you buy or do sample saddles you can fit and try for a week etc or go for a saddle fit. Manufacturers like fizik or selle Italia offer online advice but I know from my saddle fit I don't have a fizik butt and using the selelitalia site picked a saddle which did not agree with me and I couldn't send it back as I then had had it for a month.
From my saddle fit I ended up with a Prologo which I normally would not have considered. Overall it has cost me a fair amount to sort out my saddle woes, and I still have to use chamois cream every ride. Depends on you, how much money you want to spend sorting your problem out.

Nibor

Bewildered
I had a saddle which was largely comfortable apart from the centre area as discussed, my saddle clamp cam loose on a ride and when I retightened it I had inadvertantly dropped the nose slightly and it felt a little weird at first but was so much more comfortable might be worth a try?

jay clock

Massive member
If you search on here you will find that many people have Charge Spoons. I have four. May not work for you, but at under £15 you can resell easily as they are snapped up. Apparently Madison Flux is the same and a quid cheaper

Other thing to look at is bike fit. Could be some other aspect of position is causing bum trouble (eg saddle height or arm reach)

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
How would I know if an online shop's saddle will be suitable, can I try it on and send back, and keep this up until I find one that is better?
Measure your bum http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/measuresitbonewidth.html

Buy from an online shop that posts decent measurements in its descriptions, or from a manufacturer that does. 3d image viewers may help you decide if the centre dip is likely to be deep enough.

You can try sitting on the saddle on a flight of steps or similar and then send it back unused, but I'd expect a seller to grumble if it's been clamped and there's not a fault.

Some cycling groups keep boxes of saddles or various members have old ones you can try until you get an idea of what you like. I think my current saddles are half-and-half shop and online purchases, plus there are a few on the shelf - including a broken one which I really ought to throw out :laugh:

The other things I'd question are whether you're wearing thickly-padded shorts which are spreading the pressure from the sit bone supports to the centre area like an excessively-padded saddle on a leaning-forwards bike, or if the saddle is positioned too high so your hips are rocking or you're moving forwards to shorten the crank-saddle distance and you're scrunching the middle bits as too much weight shifts. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html although it's a bit dated now.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Thanks everyone, seems that pressure relief is the answer. I will look at the charge saddles.

OP
OP
Andywinds

Andywinds

Measure your bum http://www.artscyclery.com/learningcenter/measuresitbonewidth.html

Buy from an online shop that posts decent measurements in its descriptions, or from a manufacturer that does. 3d image viewers may help you decide if the centre dip is likely to be deep enough.

You can try sitting on the saddle on a flight of steps or similar and then send it back unused, but I'd expect a seller to grumble if it's been clamped and there's not a fault.

Some cycling groups keep boxes of saddles or various members have old ones you can try until you get an idea of what you like. I think my current saddles are half-and-half shop and online purchases, plus there are a few on the shelf - including a broken one which I really ought to throw out :laugh:

The other things I'd question are whether you're wearing thickly-padded shorts which are spreading the pressure from the sit bone supports to the centre area like an excessively-padded saddle on a leaning-forwards bike, or if the saddle is positioned too high so your hips are rocking or you're moving forwards to shorten the crank-saddle distance and you're scrunching the middle bits as too much weight shifts. http://www.sheldonbrown.com/saddles.html although it's a bit dated now.
Thanks for the post. I have been wearing two sets of padded shorts during the winter, but I also had this when wearing just the one pair.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
If there's a Specialized Concept store near you, they'll measure you up and they do a 30-day return thingy. (Not sure if it's a refund or a different saddle that it covers.) After having pressure problems but fairly narrow hips I had to have a narrow saddle with a central cut out - I came away with a Toupe. There are makes, such as ISM and Selle SMP saddles, that feature dropped noses and central recesses. I gather SMP have SMP4TEST authorised retailers but don't know who they are. Over the past year I seem to have also acquired an ISM PN1.1 and a Selle hybrid. You're welcome to try them, or a charge spoon or Brooks B17, for that matter, if you cover postage costs. PM if so.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Charge Spoons are a good start. They have a fairly flat profile. Don't buy the Knife is they still make it, they snap.

Personally I'm a Selle Italia fan, 3 bikes have them and the other has an old Regal saddle.

e-rider

crappy member
I'm finding that my saddle is not that comfy, even on some shorter rides this happens. Its the centre area that causes me the most trouble (without being too graphic). How would I know if an online shop's saddle will be suitable, can I try it on and send back, and keep this up until I find one that is better?
you need to try a few different shapes and designs. If yo have any friends that cycle, ask them if you can borrow a saddle for a week and try it out. You will eventually discover what design is likely to work best for you, although without actually trying a saddle you never know for sure!
The 3 Fizik designs cover the bases for most riders, they are called ARIONE, ANTERES AND ALIANTE - they range from narrow and flat, to wider and flat, and to a wider and curved profile

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
After having pressure problems but fairly narrow hips I had to have a narrow saddle with a central cut out - I came away with a Toupe.
But what did they give you for the other end where the saddle goes? ;)

I'm a big fan of Selle Royals (that's what's on the bike in my current avatar) but I also have Brooks and I've liked what I've seen of Selle San Marco, Charge and Madison but not ridden them far.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
But what did they give you for the other end where the saddle goes? ;)

I'm a big fan of Selle Royals (that's what's on the bike in my current avatar) but I also have Brooks and I've liked what I've seen of Selle San Marco, Charge and Madison but not ridden them far.
I suppose that once you've finished bringing the outside in and taking the inside out, you are beginning to end up with luxuriously padded saddle rails.

jay clock

Massive member
The ahem pain might be caused by friction. When I do a long tour I find that at points the shorts are staying still while the "barse" rubs back and forth. Chamois cream (Assos is good but Sudocreme also ok) removes that friction

Top Bottom