Saddle and legs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ConnoisseurEquator

Hi All
I tend to ride in a very straight up position.
I have used leather saddles for over 25-30 years until recently when my bottom and meddle parts were getting numb. It resulted in physical problems.
So I bought a saddle with the middle remove. All well and good. [well...]
The problem with those new saddles [2], they tend to be too far from the handle bar even in their closest setting.
The seat is slightly up wards.
What to do?
Lower the seat post as it would get me closer, but my legs would not be as extended as I like it. I tend to have a15* angle, not the 30* as recommended, but as I mentioned earlier, my riding position is straight up
A pic of the bike will explain better.
Thanks

Attachments

• RC.jpg
    RC.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 49
  • RC2.jpg
    RC2.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 51

carpenter

Über Member
I think you need a larger frame - that handlebar stem looks scary to me!

OP
OP
ConnoisseurEquator

ConnoisseurEquator

It's the largest Raleigh made. 23"
I have another two, Superb and All Steel.
I had no problem with leather saddles and reach.
Modern saddles seem different.

OP
OP
ConnoisseurEquator

ConnoisseurEquator

$_57-1.JPG
Before transformation, the day I bought it

Raleigh 3-speed roadsters like the Connoisseur were available in a 25" frame
They might be 25".
I measured them but not quite sure where to start and finish.
All I know it's compared to many bikes of the same period, they are very high. And long.
Thanks

Last edited:

southcoast

Über Member
Swapping to a shorter stem and fitting ape hanger or cruiser type bars might give you more adjustment. But probably just getting a bigger bike is the best bet.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I am confused - if the OP feels too far from the handlebars, how is a larger frame going to help?

@ConnoisseurEquator Do you feel that the seat is too far back or the handlebars are too far away? They are not the same thing, if you think about pedaling and what your legs are doing.

You can buy leather saddles with a centre cutaway. Any Brooks saddle with the word ‘Imperial’ in the name tends to have one.

My personal favourite though is the Selle Anatomica which unfortunately only seems to be available direct from the USA. They are also quite expensive.

I have two, one on each of my bikes. As well as the cutaway they also seem to have longer rails than Brooks saddles which gives more fore/aft adjustment.

alicat

Legendary Member
I've got two Selle Anatomica saddles too. I bought B stock/returns so they worked out slightly cheaper. They offer no questions asked returns iirc so you can try for a while to see if you like them.

southcoast

Über Member
I am confused - if the OP feels too far from the handlebars, how is a larger frame going to help?

@ConnoisseurEquator Do you feel that the seat is too far back or the handlebars are too far away? They are not the same thing, if you think about pedaling and what your legs are doing.
On many of the vintage bikes like the op has only the height of the frame increased as the size got bigger. So a shorter stem could be used and a inline seatpost rather than the setback on on the op’s bike. Also taller bars should give more reach adjustment.

OP
OP
ConnoisseurEquator

ConnoisseurEquator

As you can see on the pics, the higher the seat post is, the further away I am from the handle bar.
It is the position my cheeks resting on the saddle which bothers me. I have to be fully resting on it to be comfortable, very comfortable actually.
But the reach being to far, I tend to seat at the front of the saddle, therefore uncomfortable.

The settings are at their most forwards possible.

Do you feel that the seat is too far back
Yes

And no I don't need a bigger bike nor a smaller bike.

I might have to change my ridding position with more knees bend. By lowering the saddle, I will be closer.
It would seem that modern saddles give you less adjustments.
I own and ride those bikes for years and have no intention to stop.
I ride a minimum of 9kms every day, therefore have to be comfortable.
Thank you for some of the sensible answers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom