Saddle change, down to two?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mozzy

Approaching sixty years of age and enjoying my cycling on Cannondale Hybrid. Trouble is I have never had much of an ar5e so do genuinally find some discomfort between botty and ball area.

I'd shortlisted a Rido 2 and an ISM Sport. Does anyone use either to say what they are like?

Thans

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Don't start spending money on expensive saddles just yet.

That discomfort is normal for the first few weeks if you've not cycled for a while. Cycling aside, that short section of the body does not have to deal with any pressure in any other walk of life. When you sit on a chair, your sit bones take the pressure.

It really is a case of toughening it up. If you ride 2 or 3 times a week expect pain for about a month.

If you're still hurting after this time, then think about a new saddle.

By the way, you can ease saddle pains by using greasy creams - petroleum jelly or nappy creams. They help reduce the friction between you and the saddle.

Also, have a look at your saddle - is it too low, too high, too far forward, too far back.

There are three contacts points on a bike - hands, feet and arse. All three should take your weight equally. If one is carrying more, it'll hurt more.

Too low a saddle means you're sitting more, which means more pressure on the soft tissue mentioned. Too high saddle means you're being pushed forward more which increases pressure on palms and wrists.

Hope this helps.

mr Mag00

rising member
do look at set up, but alos i do not know if you have looked at Spec Body Geometry saddles, very good and have diffewrent widths for different sizes sitting bones.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
My pal has a Rido 2 and really rates it.
Set-up is part of the issue, but we all have saddles we get on with and some we don't.
Do you have the opportunity to try another type?
A drop oSudocreme pre-ride and good shorts also helps.

Top Bottom