Saddle fit help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickTB

Veteran
Hello all, back in the saddle for the first time in a couple of years and I'm having an issue. I ride a Marin hybrid with a 20.5” frame. I'm 6.1 and have added a taller stem riser for a more upright riding position. My issue is this. When I first set out, my sit bones are on the widest part of the saddle. But as I progress I'm pushing myself backwards lot. I looked at the saddle position and its as far back as it can go. It feels almost like I'm sliding forward on the saddle, as when I push myself backwards it feels just right until the next time.
Saddle height is fine, so I'm wondering what I can adjust to help.
Thanks in advance,
Nick

Is your saddle level.
If you want your saddle further back you need a sestpost with more layback.

CXRAndy

Guru
If you're pushing back, the saddle might need to come forward a little. Also check the saddle tilt. A millimetre or two can change the sensation of sliding forward or feeling like the nose is cutting you in two

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I reckon your bike is too small for you - a 20 1/2" frame sounds tiny for someone your height. I'm fractionally under 6ft and I mostly ride 23"-23 1/2" size frames. Steel ones though, with horizontal top tubes..

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Is this a new bike to you or one you had ridden before the lay off ? If it is the same bike, then what was it like then ? Saddle position with relation to foot over spindle is important. If you can`t achieve that properly then indeed the frame as @SkipdiverJohn could be too small. As others have also said, tilt may be off too.

12boy

Guru
I don't necessarily buy into the too small frame thing as most folders have only one size frame and rely on stem, seat post and handle bar selection to adapt to people from 5 feet or less to 6 feet or more. I have a half dozen bikes I ride based on what I feel like or their purpose and they all measure about the same in the critical areas of saddle to pedal and saddle to handlebar. As CXRAndy says, the tilt of the saddle has a definite impact on sliding forward or back. Tilt your saddle nose up a bit and give that a try. Costs nothing and might resolve your problem immediately.

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
If you're pushing back, the saddle might need to come forward a little. Also check the saddle tilt. A millimetre or two can change the sensation of sliding forward or feeling like the nose is cutting you in two
So today I moved the saddle forward as recommended and it was immediately better. Can’t believe I didn’t think of that before. Will try tilt tomorrow

OP
OP
NickTB

NickTB

Veteran
Is this a new bike to you or one you had ridden before the lay off ? If it is the same bike, then what was it like then ? Saddle position with relation to foot over spindle is important. If you can`t achieve that properly then indeed the frame as @SkipdiverJohn could be too small. As others have also said, tilt may be off too.
No, I’ve had this since 2016. I did London to Brighton and it was fine. I’ve moved the saddle forward and I’ll see how it is

12boy

Guru
Glad you made it work....Sometimes a very small change can make a huge difference. I've often thought if the seat post gnomes came while I was sleeping and dropped my saddle 1/8 of an inch I would know it as soon as I pedaled a few strokes.

Top Bottom