Saddle Height

What seat height?

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Turbo123

I have been riding bikes for more than six years. And I got a Trek Marlin 5 with hyd disc brakes to mountain bike and am practicing a little jumps. I bike uphill continuously for 4 miles on the trail I go to. Should I lower my seat height to practice bunny hops? Or should I keep it in the correct position for the most power?
-Thanks

Jody

Stubborn git
Depends on what your doing. For climbing and general xc you want it at the right height. You can still bunny hop with a seat set high although your technique will need to be altered to compensate. For anything slightly more fun you want the seat dropped and inch or two so you can still pedal reasonably efficiently but will allow you greater room for manoeuvre. Anything purely downhill where you have a decent descent time or jumps needs the saddle dropping out the way.

If you really want to focus on hops and jumps then lower the saddle. I ride with my saddle a smidge lower than optimal height as I like to be able to ride efficiently but also clear the odd obstacle with a bit of aplomb. Thinking of buying a dropper post as my next upgrade.

Top Bottom