Saddle help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lejogger

Guru
Hi,

I'm not sure if a diagnosis via CC post is possible, but I'd really be grateful of some advice so please bear with me.

I've never been hugely comfortable on the bike for long periods, but regularly do long rides of 60-100+ miles.
My problem seems to be that my rear favours the nose of the saddle so I tend to sit very much at the front, rather than perching my sit bones on the back. This is true of the Charge Spoon on my commuter in particular. This obviously becomes very uncomfortable after a while and i've had periods where I've lost the feeling in places you don't want to lose feeling in.

Now is this my crap position on the bike that can be solved with tinkering? Is it not the saddle or position at all, but a bad habit that I've developed that I need to train myself out of? Does the saddle need to be moved so that it's slightly forward to stop me stretching, or nose up to stop me slipping forward? Is the saddle the wrong size?
I really have no idea, but it's obviously taking an element of the enjoyment out of my riding so any advice is gratefully received.

Cheers

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would start off with moving the saddle forward slightly and maybe you are sitting on the front because you are stretched. What works for me is measuring the tip of the saddle to the centre of bars by using my arm as a measure between fingers and elbow.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
I would start off with moving the saddle forward slightly and maybe you are sitting on the front because you are stretched. What works for me is measuring the tip of the saddle to the centre of bars by using my arm as a measure between fingers and elbow.
Thanks for your response. It's interesting that you say this as I actually moved the saddle forward about 10mm on the rails earlier this week as logically I came to the same conclusion. I've only had one commute since but found although I felt less stretched when sat correctly I still found myself creeping forward and becoming more hunched as a result... Which is why I was wondering whether it is just a bad habit I need to consciously correct.

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I was going to say the same as 4F.

You should probably adjust your saddle and get it right in relation to your pedals/BB and then see if you might need a different length stem.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I moved mine forward only a few months ago by about inch and a half after being in the same position for years and was like riding a new bike :wahhey:
Super comfy and no more pain

sidevalve

Über Member
If moving forward doesn't do it try a slight nose up to the sddle and try moving it BACK slightly, [not both at the same time, only do one movement at a time]. I know moving it back seems silly but it can work, strange but true.

OP
OP
lejogger

lejogger

Guru
Thanks for the advice guys. I will have another go tomorrow with the saddle slightly forward and see how I fare. I can tilt the nose up slightly for the commute home and see if that improves matters at all.

Much appreciated. :smile:

Top Bottom